Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Left lane

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Runau View Post
    My favorite is drivers who don't slow down for a stop sign, run through it, and turn in front of you when you are 45-50mph. Brian
    That's pretty much the reason I don't ride a motorcycle any more.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

My favorite when I was racing was when I had a passing lane I would pull into the slow lane so everyone could get by. I always ran the speed limit. There would always be someone that waited till the lane was merging back in to pass. My rig was 53' long, and I am not running on the shoulder for anyone with a million dollar rig. I'd just pull over just as they were getting close to the back of the trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    That's pretty much the reason I don't ride a motorcycle any more.
    Same with me. I watched too many of my friends roll across the hood of some old lady's car.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm McLeod View Post
    Certainly the world can be divided into two groups:
    - Inferior drivers.
    - Superior drivers.

Isn’t it wonderful that only the superior group is here?
    Dunning–Kruger effect

That's right. I laugh internally whenever I talk to someone from somewhere else. Everyone where they are from drives much better than where they currently are. All I can say is look up the Dunning–Kruger effect.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

90% of drivers believe they are in the top 10% of drivers. 🤓

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    My favorite when I was racing was when I had a passing lane I would pull into the slow lane so everyone could get by. I always ran the speed limit. There would always be someone that waited till the lane was merging back in to pass. My rig was 53' long, and I am not running on the shoulder for anyone with a million dollar rig. I'd just pull over just as they were getting close to the back of the trailer.
    Yesterday I was stuck in stop and go traffic. A trucker had his signal on to get over a lane. I slowed down to let him in and some guy behind me starts blowing his horn at me to go faster. I’m thinking if I don’t give the trucker a break the poor guy will never be able to get in with a big rig. Some people just don’t get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Citerone View Post
    90% of drivers believe they are in the top 10% of drivers. 邏
    At least it adds up to 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    Same with me. I watched too many of my friends roll across the hood of some old lady's car.
    As an old lady I kind of resent that.... it isn't just old ladies

https://www.fox10phoenix.com/news/corvette-driver-was-going-155-mph-before-hitting-killing-motorcyclist-court-documents

(Happened about 4 miles south of me...)
    Last edited by Patty Hann; 05-23-2024 at 10:18 PM.
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

Thats sad Patty. (not the old lady part) too many people with powerful cars that dont know how to handle them and also do crap on roads. I rode bikes for 18 years and stopped as I got tired of thinking for other drivers and reading their minds. One past time I went to the city three times people did insane things and I wish I had a dash cam to put them on you tube.

the other day some knob in a power boat hammered it and killed at least three young people and maybe one more. He has a post on his instagram about could not wait to get out to hammer it. Well he did and took a bunch of lives.

Just saw this on FB...kinda sums it up:

bumper sticker.jpg
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    Thats sad Patty. (not the old lady part) too many people with powerful cars that dont know how to handle them and also do crap on roads. I rode bikes for 18 years and stopped as I got tired of thinking for other drivers and reading their minds. One past time I went to the city three times people did insane things and I wish I had a dash cam to put them on you tube.

the other day some knob in a power boat hammered it and killed at least three young people and maybe one more. He has a post on his instagram about could not wait to get out to hammer it. Well he did and took a bunch of lives.
    HAHA...too funny Warren... thanks.
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Hann View Post
    I was trying to merge into freeway traffic and this guy (and it was a guy, not a woman) in the traffic lane kept even with me, wouldn't let me merge.
    I saw him look at me so I know he knew I was there.
    I slowed down to let him get ahead of me so I could enter, and he slowed down.
    The I thought OK, I'll just speed up and get in ahead of him.
    Nope. He sped up just enough to stay even with me.
    I finally ran out of "Merge lane" and to slow way down and until I could enter in a break in traffic.
    I don't understand people like that.
    Be thankful you don't have any interactions with that person. I'll bet a psychologist would have a term for that behavior and it wouldn't be one to be proud of.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    I've seen worse, people drive to the end of the merge lane and stop waiting for a break in traffic to pull out. Not seen it often, perhaps those they have done it don't survive long.
    Quite common here. Maybe not come to a full stop but slow down quite a lot. Perhaps they slept thru the part of driver's education where they talked about merges.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    Quite common here. Maybe not come to a full stop but slow down quite a lot. Perhaps they slept thru the part of driver's education where they talked about merges.
    Or the part where people already in the right lane should be courteous and move over to let people in. I've run out of merge lane a few times because of that aggressive behavior Patty describes. Young folks learn from video games and TV, not drivers ed. And older folks take everything as a personal challenge.
    < insert spurious quote here >

I'm impressed that the latest update on the Full Self Driving software on my Tesla knows to get out of the left lane after some unspecified period of time that it decides. It actually tells you that it is getting out of the passing lane. It may see a car behind you approaching, or who knows what, but it does do it automatically.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.