Thread: stumpy, no nubbs

stumpy, no nubbs

Decided to do some digging on this project today. Im down to about 16 - 18" deep and not enough yet have to check for more roots. Its some sort of maple that a friend took down past.

The cut off root edges from left to right is about seven feet. I think I have to pull more soil out between and under the cut off portions of roots. I know some trees go straight down but not sure here dont even know the type. They were here when I arrived. At some point if enough is cut im wondering if it can be chained and pulled up in one piece by a farm vehicle or two truck.

I could also sacrifice a chainsaw chain. Its sat for a bit and i past had cut what roots I could with a sawzall and longest axe blade at the time think was 12" had those green blades but the old axe blades were stronger. I just resharpen them with a die grinder and cut off wheel. I got this far today with an axe.

Ill check for any more roots and pull out from between and under the cut off roots. Any other ways to deal with this?

Ive done three before not so easy, they were smaller than this one. There was a Pilated woodpecker on this when I went out the other day. There is at least one more out there for him this has to go.

P2250997A.jpg
    Last edited by Warren Lake; 05-20-2024 at 12:54 AM.

got time to get back to stumpy and he met his match. Got it down to chained up and still unable to pull it out. One large root going deep and the sawzall has packed it in and the Stihl would not start Argh.

Lots of power in the truck but no traction and ticked the chainsaw would not start. Did some slamming back and forth and snapped the root off. Ton of clean up. Half an hour after i needed it the chainsaw it did start and started making it smaller but between clay and a few stones I sawed through put an end to that but main thing its broken off and out of the hole.

Sad the blocks that had been thrown back into the ground last owner, two of them are right into the base of the tree.

P2260234A.jpgP2260288A.jpg
    Last edited by Warren Lake; 05-23-2024 at 9:59 PM.

Where’s Shane when you need him?

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    Where’s Shane when you need him?
    HAHA...(took me a minute, tho'....)
    Great movie, BTW...
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

Maybe with Waldo?

Whos Shane?

okay got it. born 56 guess I missed it. Tree scene then next some history

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zh-iFcCkch8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxcmiE7Qpm4

Last edited by Warren Lake; 05-24-2024 at 12:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    okay got it. born 56 guess I missed it.
    I was born in '54....first time I watched Shane I was maybe 12 or so.
    So being born in '56 is no excuse for not knowing about it.
    There may be other reasons but year you were born is not one of them... ;-D
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

I had a paper route at 11 and a mini bike at 12, I came home from school every day I was gone to ride. Thats one excuse

Yesterday stump cutting was a pain as there is so much dirt and stones and more in it so trashed chains fast. When I went to refill it those stellar German gas and oil caps the gas one fell apart into 10 pieces. What a pant load design. Today I took just the last portion and put it in by hand and it leaked gas. Unusable.

Two or three of every tool and machine in my shop to never be stuck, guess I will need a second chainsaw as well. Went on the net and one you tube said the caps were so much trouble the US Forestry service stopped buying Stihl stuff for a while cause of gas leaks cap related and possible fires.

Past the oil one had been grief many times, today the saw was unusable. I emailed Stihl and said they should sending out better caps for free. I see aftermarket caps but will copies of an original poor design even make sense. Maybe they are better. Anyone have a good way to solve the gas and oil fill caps on a Stihl MS250?

Kent was right though Shane expired. I had to channel him and use the idiot stick. Looked easier in the movies.

P2260433A.jpg
    Last edited by Warren Lake; 05-26-2024 at 12:37 AM.

When you get it down all my Beech trees died, about 20, and I would love you to show me how!

Absolutely have serious truck envy!

sorry about your trees. We lost ash here and older maples must be 20 trees gone now and some of the character left with it. Its a shame. We lost four maples over 100 years old. The farm is gone and houses are sprouting up out of the ground. No more sunrises they block it out, past a sunrise over 150 acres was a joy for an ex city person.

Truck is a joy, its no trailer queen and has many scars that stay. It was a farm truck originally. Have over 20 years on it, 400 SML Block and 410 rear. Its as simple as a lawn mower. One failure in all that time, the solenoid.