Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anyone with temperature controller experience?

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    I hear the recommendations not to use outside air but I've yet to hear a specific reason. I don't understand how bringing in outside air in a residential area is a risk. Using air exchanges to offset the load on the A/C unit may not be common in commercial operations but from what I see online it is common practice on many farms. The whole cold room idea using air conditioners and Coolbots comes from the same farm DIY community. We are increasing the rooms R value to R20 using rigid foam insulation.
    This project is months away as we wait for our grant application to be approved. If in that time I learn of a tangible danger in the ventilation idea I'll delete it from the project. I'd really be interested in knowing what the specific danger is. At the moment it represents about 5% of the overall project budget so it can be easily deleted although some method of bringing fresh air to reduce odours seems like a good idea even if not an automated system to reduce A/C load.
    I suspect your local Health Department (or whatever it's called in Vancouver) would be happy to educate you.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Thanks for the advice on the ventilation question, I'm following up with my contractor.

I've not followed this in days but many/most heat exchangers have a recirculate fiction, where no air is exhausted or brought in, simply "recirculated". +1 on proper insulation

Thanks for the advice on the ventilation question, I'm following up with my contractor.
    You need to talk to a commercial refrigeration company, not a HVAC person that just does A/C. I Did the commercial refrigeration for over 30 years and then taught the same for 12 more years.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

... although I do not understand what the danger is. ...
    So perhaps defer to a professional who does understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm McLeod View Post
    So perhaps defer to a professional who does understand.
    I gladly would if they would explain what the danger is. I am an Engineer so I think I'm capable of understanding a technical issue if someone tells me what the danger is as opposed to just saying don't do it. On more than one occasion in my career I've been told "you can't do that" by someone who claims to be knowledgeable in a field and debunked the reason. So if you know why it shouldn't be done, please share the technical reason. I doubt you are the type who would blindly take advice from someone just because they claim to know what they are talking about if they weren't able to explain why. I'm trying to do my due diligence so I can make an informed decision

... So if you know why it shouldn't be done, please share the technical reason. ...
    I know only that I've never seen it done and that you've rationalized a number of 'technical reasons' in this thread. So perhaps seek the advice of a Horticultural Food Scientist or similar. At the risk of being Captain Obvious, a woodworking forum is perhaps not the place to seek such a professional.

Or, perhaps just speed on? Your inertia seems well defined.

Out.