Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone adapt a CNC spindle to a router lift?

1. Hi all, sorry if I am reviving an old subject.
    I did exactly this with one of those Chinese water cooled spindles, mostly because I wanted to have a quiet router table since I was going to run it indoors. Eventually I wanted to build a CNC router and was going to put this set up on the CNC, but I like it so much I will just leave it on the table. What I found really useful is the control that you get with the rotation speed, that is simply great.

I have to say that it is not a cheap setup if you want to build it right. it really needs to have the complete wiring as if you were to set up a CNC router.
    Dust was one of my issues as well, which I solved by using an enclosure with filtered fans; it was actually a lot of fun putting the enclosure and wiring together...

For a lift, I used the Jessem router lift because it was almost the exact size. With a thin aluminum sleeve it fit perfect. For controlling it, I set up a Normally Open and a Normally closed switch with a changeover selector to control the direction of the rotation. Designed and 3d printed a control panel to put all these together. Please note that the spindle can rotate on both directions, this is a serious safety issue, that can be disabled on the VFD (Which I have done for safety reasons).

If anyone is curious on the BOM for the build, here it is below (please note that this is just to set up the wiring and the lift and these costs are from a couple of years ago):
    NO Switch,
    NC Switch,
    Changeover Slector
    Flow indicator 15.21
    Contactor
    ABB AF16-30-10-13
    6mm hose fittings 9.59
    Silicone tube 8.99
    90 degree elbow fittings 8.49
    Cable glands 10.59
    Vfd remote cable 17.99
    12mm fan x2 13.98
    Fan covers 8.99
    Phantec plug fitting 4.99
    Wire terminals 13.73
    20 awg cable 14.95
    20 amp breaker 23.25
    10 awg silicone cable 25.88
    Din rail 7.99
    Dinkle terminals 29.99
    Wistex 16in enclosure 37.65
    Emi filter 17.69
    Ground bar 7.99
    Meanwell DC transformer 26.6
    Cooling pump 51.19
    Aluminum radiator 42.99
    Jessem lift 179
    Router/vfd 312
    1/4 collet 7.79
    Total 1013.63

for water cooling, I have been using a PC cooling radiator, Reservoir/Pump, and pc cooling liquid. these motors will not run for such a long time that it will significantly heat up. but it is advised to run the cooling.
    I have been running this in my basement for a while, but haven't run it since I moved my shop in the garage, since I don't have 220V there. That will be coming up..

I'd upload some pics but for some reason it is not letting me.

Thanks for posting Denis. I'm looking forward to seeing your pics.