Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: California bans the SALE of gas lawn mowers and leaf blowers after 2024

Good point about generators. I got one earlier this year due to a downed tree epic power outage, and got a $300 rebate from the utility company.

I never considered getting a battery powered generator, because.... although the tenants did use battery packs that they charged at a neighbors house. They worked well, but took forever to charge with the generator.

Engines over 25 HP are exempt from the ban. Commercial mowing companies will simply buy mowers with engines at least 25 HP.

It appears diesel engines are also exempt. The diesel exemption seems strange as they tend to pollute more than gas although tier 4 final emissions makes them pollute somewhat less. I worked at an event last summer where part of my job was to fuel a large diesel generator that burned 80 gallons of diesel every day. It had DEF to meet tier 4 final regulations.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    No batteries for me. My lawn is about four and a half acres so I use a 35HP gas (really fast) mower. I have nineteen large mature trees in my yard plus five other buildings and ditches along two sides of the property. Way to much area to cover with a battery weed eater. My woods row along one side of the property is about one and a half acres.

How will we recycle millions and millions of lithium batteries every year in the future? Someone must have a plan....
    Here's how https://www.canarymedia.com/articles...n-for-business or this https://www.blackridgeresearch.com/b...s-in-the-world

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Wood View Post
    Good point about generators. I got one earlier this year due to a downed tree epic power outage, and got a $300 rebate from the utility company.

I never considered getting a battery powered generator, because.... although the tenants did use battery packs that they charged at a neighbors house. They worked well, but took forever to charge with the generator.
    Pet Peeve

There is no such thing as a battery powered generator, they are just batteries.

I really can't stand that the industry, in all their wisdom, started calling these battery banks, generators. It's just wrong, it doesn't generate anything. You need to charge them from an external source.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weber View Post
    Pet Peeve

There is no such thing as a battery powered generator, they are just batteries.

I really can't stand that the industry, in all their wisdom, started calling these battery banks, generators. It's just wrong, it doesn't generate anything. You need to charge them from an external source.

One was supposed to infer the irony emoji in my post. I have not heard a battery called a generator.

I missed the irony

I was referring to these
    https://us.ecoflow.com/pages/solar-generators
    The common name is solar generator or battery generator

I missed the irony

I was referring to these
    https://us.ecoflow.com/pages/solar-generators
    The common name is solar generator or battery generator
    Solar panels generate electricity- I don't see a problem with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Saw a sign at hoe despot and looked it up. California has banned the sale of gas lawnmowers and leaf blowers after 2024. If yours is getting tired better buy a new one in a few months. I assume they will be gone from stores by Fall.
    It will probably take ten to twenty years until this ban goes nationwide.
    I will not miss the gas leaf blowers one bit.
    Bill D
    I wonder how much genteel smuggling of lawn equipment there'll be into California. Like there is of mineral spirits today. Of course it might be hard to explain a new looking lawn mower in 10 years though. I'm sure somebody will find a way.

Interesting in 30+ posts, there have been few if any posts on the benefits of eliminating gas powered landscape equipment.

As Jim pointed out earlier, the sale of gasoline powered devices will be banned in California. Someone will go to Nevada, buy a bunch of gas powered units and come sell them to the landscapers. Battery powered tools just won't work for them - they'd have to have so many batteries and that would cost a bunch. The batteries don't charge up fast enough for them to get charged between jobs.

It's a "feel good" rule that will be ignored.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    Interesting in 30+ posts, there have been few if any posts on the benefits of eliminating gas powered landscape equipment.
    There are benefits to be sure BUT at present, the technological reality we're in has a big hole in it and the proposed benefits can't actually be realized just by saying so.

Yard cutting is probably the biggest employer here on the lake. No one cuts their own grass. Most have already switched to cordless blowers and trimmers with no change of laws in sight. I see them plug in batteries to the house they're working on first thing when they show up. I expect they have it figured out with how many batteries they need.

There are benefits to be sure BUT at present, the technological reality we're in has a big hole in it and the proposed benefits can't actually be realized just by saying so.
    Yes, but the ban is not on the use but only the sale of new gas powered lawnmowers etc. Commercial lawnmowers have a life expectancy of about 2500 hours. Assuming 5 hours a day, 5 days a week, 50 weeks a year that would be about 2 years. Given the advancements in battery technology, it's not unreasonable to expect that big hole will be at least partially closed.
    Seems to me, even if the cost of landscape maintenance is increased, the health and environmental benefits may be worth it.

The guys around here work long hours. One crew told me they do 40 yards a day. Those are all 1/2 acre lots with less than half under grass. People pump water out of the lake to water grass.

At 75 to 100 per, that's 3 or 4 grand a day, which should leave room to buy batteries. Cost probably depends on how many fireworks launchers they have to trim around.

For years I've helped these guy when they needed help, like welding on a worn out deck to keep it going, or to get a stuck blade nut off. Now they're all driving new trucks and just wave when I see them. Things are booming around here for the last couple of years or so.
    Last edited by Tom M King; 05-21-2024 at 5:28 PM.