Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stanley 45 missing sliding section - Are all sliding sections interchangeable?

Stanley 45 missing sliding section - Are all sliding sections interchangeable?

I bought a Stanley 45 off the auction site without knowing enough about 45’s and I missed the fact that this one was missing the sliding section. I found a replacement, but I was hoping you guys could tell me if the sliding section pictured will fit the 45 I bought.
    Attached Images Attached Images

It should fit, That part is referred to as the "Skate"
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

aka...Sliding Stock. Would depend on how old the plane is...those with the arms that screw into the body might be just a tad smaller and have a different, all metal design...Later ones with the arms that slide through the Main Stock...MIGHT be enough different to not quite fit...

Errands to run, today...will dig out both types I have in the shop, and check....will post later..
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

Blog Entries
    It is possible that it will fit, but it does look like it is from an earlier plane.

Here is an old post on how the part may not align properly. > https://sawmillcreek.org//showthread.php?196347

Misalignment of Skates.jpg

This was a detail shot, so not sure of the "type dating" of the planes shown. One is likely a pre-type 10, the other is likely a type 11 or later.

Stanley #45 Stopped Rabbet Cut.jpg

The Stanley name is on the skate after that.

It is linked in a post from the Neanderthal wisdom/FAQs archive > https://sawmillcreek.org//showthread.php?103805

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 05-20-2024 at 1:46 PM. Reason: Hit send b4 uploading images
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I appreciate the info so far. Short of ordering it, is there a good way to determine from photos what kind of skate/sliding section I’m missing? Right now I’ve got a semi-functional plane and I’d like to make it functional without calling this a total loss.

No Matter what Will, the plane is not a total loss. You might have to search for just the right skate, but the main body is in very, very good shape. Note that there is a lot the plane can do even in the unlikely event you can't find a skate that works.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Anderson NH View Post
    No Matter what Will, the plane is not a total loss. You might have to search for just the right skate, but the main body is in very, very good shape. Note that there is a lot the plane can do even in the unlikely event you can't find a skate that works.
    Thanks, Dave! That’s what I wanted to hear. I’m hoping that I can eventually have it 100% complete. I tinkered with it for a while and it’s already much more enjoyable than firing up the electric router.

If you want...contact Eric at nhplanparts and see what he has..

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Will Mullendore View Post
    I appreciate the info so far. Short of ordering it, is there a good way to determine from photos what kind of skate/sliding section I’m missing? Right now I’ve got a semi-functional plane and I’d like to make it functional without calling this a total loss.
    There was a major change to the main section in about 1910 or 11. My best guess is if you buy a sliding section (skate) from a later plane (the ones with STANLEY cast into the bridge) it will line up fine.

There are a few of them on ebay, search > Stanley 45 skate < The cheapest one has the knicker and screw removed. It would be better to pay a little more and get one with the knicker. Also items listed as "Buy It Now" will often come down a few bucks if they also have "Make Offer" options, especially if the listing is old.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Some of the changes, between a Type 4 and a Type 20..
    2 Stanley 45s, old vs new.jpg
    Locking bolts....
    2 Stanley 45s, Type 4.jpg
    And a lot fancier details on the T-4...slotted Brass bolts..vs..
    2 Stanley 45s, new sliding stock.jpg
    "Plain Jane" details...otherwise they seem to be about the same..

That Type 4 was nickel Plated by Eric Brown, BTW...may have to send the type 20 ( Roxton Pond, QUE. CAN) down to him...looking a bit scruffy..

I ordered the skate in my original post and it will be delivered tomorrow. I’ll report back. If it doesn’t fit, I’m calling NH Plane Parts to see if he can help me out.

Well the skate arrived and no such luck. There’s a ~0.050” gap between the faces of the skates.

I guess it’s time to call NH Plane Parts to see if he can help me out. Unless anyone else knows where I can find the skate I’m missing?

Question #1...Does it fit the rods?

Note: even with the sliding stock fully against the Main stock..there WILL be a slight gap where both rest on the wood...due to a tapered edge on both..flat to the outside, and tapered to the inside.

Design was to support cutters down to 1/4" width...anything narrower, you had to remove the Sliding Stock..

Try a 1/4" cutter in it, and see if both edges are supported...

While I am using a narrower cutter right now, the issue I see is that the back side of the cutter will not contact the sliding section as it does on the main body. See the area circled in red in the picture attached. Is this an issue or no?

Doubt it..set a 1/4" cutter in the plane and test it out...