Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: California bans the SALE of gas lawn mowers and leaf blowers after 2024

California bans the SALE of gas lawn mowers and leaf blowers after 2024

Saw a sign at hoe despot and looked it up. California has banned the sale of gas lawnmowers and leaf blowers after 2024. If yours is getting tired better buy a new one in a few months. I assume they will be gone from stores by Fall.
    It will probably take ten to twenty years until this ban goes nationwide.
    I will not miss the gas leaf blowers one bit.
    Bill D

Rejoice my friends
    relax, be gay
    or hang your heads in sorrow.
    what California is today
    the rest will be tomorrow.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

"The hydrocarbon emissions from a half-hour of yard work with the two-stroke leaf blower are about the same as a 3,900-mile drive from Texas to Alaska in a Raptor," said Jason Kavanagh, Engineering Editor at Edmunds.com. "As ridiculous as it may sound, it is more 'green' to ditch your yard equipment and find a way to blow leaves using a Raptor."

https://www.edmunds.com/about/press/...delinecom.html

Four stroke lawn mower aren't as bad, but still.... Many of the pro landscape guys around here have already ditched their gas equipment for battery power. No so for the tree work, 'tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Wood View Post
    Four stroke lawn mower aren't as bad, but still.... Many of the pro landscape guys around here have already ditched their gas equipment for battery power. No so for the tree work, 'tho.
    The cost alone is prohibitive, not to mention the lack of available equipment and the time needed to change out batteries and charge.
    Example, https://www.ryobitools.com/products/details/46396041852
    $5k for a basic riding mower, not what landscapers need.
    https://lawnlove.com/blog/california...lawn-care-law/
    "
    “The primary issue with the impending regulation is the failure to acknowledge the differences between commercial and residential uses and take into account the fact that commercial zero-emission equipment is currently not yet comparable to gas-powered SORE because of:

• Significantly higher costs
    • Performance deficiencies
    • Battery compatibility issues
    • Lack of adequate infrastructure to support full transition”

Many companies will simply purchase out of state or use some other creative work around.
    I live in CA and while I do prefer NOT to hear lawn equipment at all hours of the summer, I understand the need for gas over battery in many circumstances. I recognize that batteries offer some advantages but as of now, they are in no position to entirely replace all SORE.

I've been using a battery string trimmer/blower for over ten years but that's a low resistance or low draw tool. Many of the other currently available battery powered tools, like mowers, chainsaws, tillers and so on, are medium to high draw tools. These types of tools simply aren't up to the task, certainly not for use on my property.
    This transition will take a decade or more in some areas.
    JMO

Why do I instinctively picture a police officer, with one leg up on a lawnmower, writing a ticket?
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Riding mowers is a different issue, but push ones do OK. Here in California, lawns are dwindling anyway, mostly due to water. The guy that takes care of neighboring properties has a battery backpack that powers the various equipment.

A buddy runs a battery powered mower over hill and dale & prefers it.

One thing to consider, having a well maintained lawn is not a necessity. In many areas lawns are becoming less and less practical as water shortages result in lawn watering bans. We just have a medium sized residential lot. We took out our front lawn a decade ago and replaced it with drought tolerant shrubs and ornamental grasses.

We're already seeing fairly widespread conversion with no state regulation in place. This suggests that the benefits already outweigh the costs for the landscape companies, at least the higher end ones that work around our town.

As far as homeowners go I've not yet run into anyone who was other than joyful about ditching their gas mowers. Apparently having a machine that just starts and runs reliably is regarded as a major benefit . (My mower didn't start again this spring, I'm guessing there's another $5-800 repair bill in the offing. I should sell it while it's working this time and get an electric-- I figure it's not worth much on the second hand market when it doesn't work.)

I can’t wait Bill, I live in an urban area, as the majority of Canadians do, I have a manual reel mower, it produces a beautiful cut lawn.

The noise and emissions from gas machinery won’t be missed

The other issue, as other members have mentioned is water use, as well as fertilizer.

We’re converting to dwarf white clover, the best thing to do in many areas is to get rid of lawns completely.

Regards, Rod

It does seem kind of foolish to spend all that time and money on chemicals, water, equipment, and gasoline, to grow something we have to continually cut. The prime motivation being maintaining property values.
    < insert spurious quote here >

California is bringing in a lot of labor to cut lawns at low prices. That Newsome guy is a genius ! And using the tops off canned food
    to cut grass instead of traditional lawn mowers will greatly lower emissions , and make the place real quiet.

Because of lawn watering restrictions, most of the lawns in our neighbourhood look terrible by mid to late July thru early to mid October. Those that look lush and green are probably being illegally watered, just a matter of time before they are hit with a big fine. All it takes is to piss off a neighbour. This year will be particularly bad as we had a relatively dry winter with near record low snowpack. Our water comes from snow melt and rain collected in dammed reservoirs in the mountains. Water shortages and watering restrictions are not just in North America, I follow Scott Brown Carpentry from New Zealand on Youtube and they have water use restrictions down their too.

Blog Entries
    My grass is never watered intentionally. The sky does that.

After first moving up here talked to someone about them mowing right after it had rained. Mentioned that in California everything on mowing said to not cut when the grass was wet. There reply was, "if you don't mow wet, you aren't going to mow.

Some of the professionals around here take the guards off of their weed eaters and run the string long when mowing a large field.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

There are lots of flowers and native plants that have for centuries made beautiful meadows. ‘twas the Home associations and lawn
    mower manufacturers that ruined “the ecology”….

As i was pointing out, if all you do is mow, blow & go, battery is a good choice.
    IF you have extensive mowing (1+ acre) or heavier than "normal" residential work, then battery is not always the answer.
    The law is for machinery under 25 hp, for certain situations, this leaves a gap in the system.
    There are many types of SORE that will not perform well with battery, currently.

While homeowners may not need anything more than a retail battery platform for their once a week outings. Landscapers just can not use those same consumer level tools and expect them to perform and/or last. They just won't endure being used on an all day, everyday basis. Landscapers need to purchase the professional line of tools like these, which cost quite a lot more.
    https://www.husqvarna.com/us/discove...tery-products/
    https://www.stihlusa.com/products/ba...cts/ap-system/

These are the types products that need to be used until something over 25hp is needed.