Thread: Seeking Recommendation on a Bench Grinder with Specific Features.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Vespel is definitely not a thermoplastic, and you definitely do not want to cut it with heat. I'd suspect the same with PEEK but I haven't tried that one.

I'd vote slitting saw. They get crazy thin.

Quote Originally Posted by Bert McMahan View Post
    Vespel is definitely not a thermoplastic, and you definitely do not want to cut it with heat. I'd suspect the same with PEEK but I haven't tried that one.

I'd vote slitting saw. They get crazy thin.
    Agreed, Bert. I've got a segmenting saw, but it only goes up to 300 RPM. I need something possibly ten times that fast.

Just be clear, Bert, are you talking about a CNC machine for the slitting? If so, I would have to job this out, which wouldm make our costs too high. I do have a CNC machine, but it is a small benchtop model with no water or coolant.

If you're referring to benchtop units, the industry standard is pretty much the Buehler Isomet line. However, the high-speed model I need is $4000-5000 for a clean used one, well beyond my means at this point.

If you have another specific saw or application in mind, I'd love to hear more.

Thank You,
    Scott

Thank You,
    sm
    Last edited by Scott Memmer; 05-19-2024 at 3:55 PM.

I meant using a spindle from a CNC machine to make your own slitting machine. Something like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Spindle-Inver...6-9d8efb903409

(No experience with them, just searched "cnc spindle")

You'd need to make your own system, but you could stick a slitting saw into one of those mounted horizontally and make a small slitting machine.