Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Diesel tractor over revving, why?

Shame on them for not providing a tank drain. I’ve never had any dealings with that category of tractors though. My smallest utility tractor is a 70 ho category 2. I have been looking at them for getting a smaller one for pulling a topdresser with. This gives me one more thing to look at on them.

With no tank drain I would keep the tank full as much as possible. Some water does condense in them.

It should have a glass bowl filter with a petcock in the bottom. Aside from a linkage sticking IF the diesel engine gets a shot of oil from a engine leak or bypass open it will happily burn it as fuel and it can not be shut off. I do not see how water in diesel could cause the over revving?
    Last edited by Bill George; 05-16-2024 at 9:51 AM.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

When I had my Kubotas I hung out at tractorbynet. No aspersions on the good suggestions here, but they do have a Kioti specific forum. Good luck with it.

Blog Entries
    Several of the videos I watched talk about diesel bug and biofilm as well as water. Water puts the fire out. Diesel bug and biofilm cause the fuel delivery system to malfunction.

Don't neglect to look at the air intake filter and associated items in conjunction with the fuel issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    It should have a glass bowl filter with a petcock in the bottom. Aside from a linkage sticking IF the diesel engine gets a shot of oil from a engine leak or bypass open it will happily burn it as fuel and it can not be shut off. I do not see how water in diesel could cause the over revving?
    These are small tractors and that kind of feature isn't really a thing, unfortunately. Some folks will relocate the fuel filter and sometimes use a different type, but many of the subcompacts have simple in-line filters. Any draining is done by unclipping the hose from the tank side of the filter.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

There won't be a glass bowl. They don't put those on bigger equipment anymore either. Many fuel tanks are mounted low these days. Under steps, the cab, or wherever with being able to mold any shape they want it fits in. So they use lift pumps to get the fuel to the injection pump. The beauty of these is no hand priming is required when filters are changed. Just cycle the key a couple times and they are bled. As Jim said it will be a molded tank. I have never looked for a drain on my Cub Cadet/Yanmar. With it happening right after adding fuel I'm confident it is fuel related. I saw this more times then I care to remember. There won't be a lift pump because the tank will gravity feed to the injection pump. You may have to pull a line to drain fuel off. I absolutely would put a new filter on as well. If contamination has already impacted engine performance it needs changed. The filter is all that protects the injection pump and you don't want to damage it.

Be glad this was not a giant engine in a container ship trying to thread the passage under the bridge as the engine failed. I agree with everyone else it is the new fuel. Either the fuel is bad or it pushed/dissolved old bad stuff into the pump.
    It is much easier to drain and check the fuel then try to adjust any pump or linkages. Also easy enough to see the problem if it is bad fuel. That is way I recommended check filters first. Not because it is too likely but it should be done any time the pump is worked on, just in case.
    Bill D

An update. I remembered I had a filter kit that I bought with the tractor. The fuel filter had a drain but that produced about 1/4 teaspoon of water with the clear looking fuel. I replaced the fuel filter. Replaced the air filter. Fuel tank has no drain, so I pumped out as much as I could and put in 5 fresh gallons. We'll see if it happens again. BUT, I did remember something else. The manual, both hardcopy and online, says the engine holds 6 qts of oil. When I changed the oil at the first 100 hours, after adding the 6 qts the drip stick showed the level well above full. I just assumed the dip stick must the wrong and made a mental note to remember that when routinely checking oil levels. So today I changed the oil and filter and added just 5 qts and the dip stick still showed slightly over filled.
    I don't see how all the manuals could be wrong and the dip stick right, but if that is true, the engine had at least 1 qt too much oil, which could have possibly found its way to the combustion chamber. Probably just overthinking.

It's probably just the fuel in the can went bad over the winter.

Thanks for the comments.

Diesel fuel sitting over a Winter shouldn’t be much of an issue. My 100 gallon tank has sat over Winters for 30 years with some in it. I do use some in Winters, but nothing like in grass growing season. I don’t burn a hundred gallons a year, so some of it is always over a year old.

The oil sounds suspect to me. I would want to know exactly how much is supposed to be in it.

I want to apologize to everyone for wasting their time!

You know those large containers of motor oil at the auto parts store? Did you know they are 5 qts not 1 gallon? I didn't until now. How stupid can 1 old man be!

So, I had been running the tractor with an extra qt of oil and it finally said "I don't like this". Problem solved, just hope it didn't do any damage.

Good night.

No apologies needed. It's always an interesting problem to solve and not as much work when it belongs to someone else. I'd still like to know how the oil got in the combustion chambers.

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holbrook View Post

You know those large containers of motor oil at the auto parts store? Did you know they are 5 qts not 1 gallon? I didn't until now. How stupid can 1 old man be!

So, I had been running the tractor with an extra qt of oil and it finally said "I don't like this". Problem solved, just hope it didn't do any damage.

Good night.
    Thats what I said, burning oil is just like diesel only no metering. I would Never adjust anything for a one time deal, I would check for binding and the oil burning thing. I have owned two diesels one a JD 650 a compact tractor and yes it did have the glass bowl with a drain, the other was a VW diesel which had a "special" filter to take out the water.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holbrook View Post

Good night.
    Well now that we know you are human like the rest of us.... I don't think I've had one of those moments yet today but the day isn't over and I might have forgotten. These moments keep us humble.