Thread: Big chisel contest

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Slicks and could be argued if chisels or not, but not the biggest anyway. This is a bit of an unusual use and used cross grain. In fixing up this old dock, at this step the new deck had been put on aligned to strings pulled tight. The old bands were plenty good enough to leave for this purpose but not the finished look we wanted because they were so wavy and crooked. They were straightened by kerfing with a chainsaw just eyeballing the kerfs to the new deck edge, and clearing out the noggles with the slicks. There were a couple of timber framing chisels out there too somewhere in that picture that were used with the mallets. The slicks were to finish. One is a razor sharp Japanese one and the other rougher work one a USA one. That gave me a flat, straight surface to mount the new bands on. The slicks are laying out with the big mallet in the farthest pile.

I mostly use the 2" slicks and only very rarely use the 3-1/2" one.

I use them often cross grain, sometimes pushing with my hip and in this case fist against chest, using body weight.

Edited to add just about the dock-made it handicap accessible with its own parking spot too. Grass growing there now-that was the day I made the grading change.

dockstraightenedge.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tom M King; 05-15-2024 at 9:48 PM.