Thread: Your favorite handle? Stuart Batty Handle?

Your favorite handle? Stuart Batty Handle?

My go to and favorite handle is one made by Stuart Batty that was purchased at Woodworkers Emporium years ago. It's made out of some composite material (carbon fiber?) that is comfortable to hold in warm/cold weather and has ribs along the length to prevent it from rolling. Gouges are held in place with an ER collet. The gouges are easy to remove for sharpening. The only downside is sawdust prevents it from closing sometimes and has to be blown out with compressed air. Unfortunately these are no longer made. What's your favorite handle?

i recall when he tried to get that tool line up and running in boulder years ago.
    I had hopes of attending the school he was going to open when his venture took off. Sadly it went south in a big way and in a big hurry.

I prefer to make my own from wood.
    I find that too many retail handles are either too short or too small in diameter for my liking
    I use a dense wood (Macaucauba, Hormigo) that has a Janka rating of 2700. It resists denting and dinging from being set in the ways from time to time.
    Hormigo Handles (600 x 400).jpg

The handle you describe was a hybrid made by Woodworker's Emporium with the Robust ER Collett head and a Batty body. I have several.

Quote Originally Posted by David Propst View Post
    The handle you describe was a hybrid made by Woodworker's Emporium with the Robust ER Collett head and a Batty body. I have several.
    This is a sad reminder of the Woodworker's Emporium closing. Stuart Batty apparently offers the same handle body but with a Taper Lock head. I may try one of those when he offers bowl and spindle gouges again. According to a response from his website they will available within a few months. I may also try one of the Robust heads for ER collets and make my own handle. I like the feel of wood handles but no so much the roundness.

The tri-lobe by Hannes Tool

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    The tri-lobe by Hannes Tool
    Interesting 3-sided handle. Not sure how that would feel in my hand.

I have the Stuart Batty handles
    I find the ability to remove the handle from the tool for sharpening and simply using the tool without the handle is extremely useful

Additionally Stuart has relaunched his range of tools and handles

https://stuartbattytools.com

Stuart also has a a number of useful videos and articles on his web site

https://stuartbattytools.com/free-videos-%26-articles

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mathews View Post
    Interesting 3-sided handle. Not sure how that would feel in my hand.
    I just told you, it's my favorite after 39 years of turning. You can register your thumb in a valley between lobes and you get a better grip with less effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mathews View Post
    Stuart Batty apparently offers the same handle body but with a Taper Lock head. I may try one of those when he offers bowl and spindle gouges again. According to a response from his website they will available within a few months.
    His gouges have been 'Coming Soon'... for a long time.

Depending on the price, the replaceable 15V gouges will be a nice option.

But, I wouldn't be holding my breath on when they will be available!
    Neil

About the same distance from most of you heading East or West.

It's easy to see the Dunning-Kruger Effect in others, but a bit of a conundrum when it comes to yourself...