Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vietnam veterans....

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Hann View Post
    Not in Phoenix.
    No veteran in his right mind would use this place unless he had Zero options.

https://www.12news.com/article/news/...9-f51cb66a99a2
    Major bummer. I'm sorry your local VA is so awful.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Germain View Post
    FYI, Medicare will now pay for hearing aids. My dad is on Medicare and recently got a set of $13,000 hearing aids free. Check it out.
    $13K for hearing aids, unless they are something really special like the implants Ken has, sounds over the top. But there are big markups out there...the Rexton aids I use and paid under $2K for from Costco are regularly sold by the "name" hearing centers for as much as $6K. (yea, wow). I do have coverage for HA's from Medicare, but I use a PPO Advantage plan from the local BCBC. I know there was talk about availability for folks on "regular" Medicare, but was not aware it was real yet.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    $13K for hearing aids, unless they are something really special like the implants Ken has, sounds over the top. But there are big markups out there...the Rexton aids I use and paid under $2K for from Costco are regularly sold by the "name" hearing centers for as much as $6K. (yea, wow). I do have coverage for HA's from Medicare, but I use a PPO Advantage plan from the local BCBC. I know there was talk about availability for folks on "regular" Medicare, but was not aware it was real yet.
    I am bimodal with both a cochlear implant(CI) and a hearing aid (HA). My sound processor and the HA talk to each other. 3 years ago when I updated my hearing gear on both ears, Medicare Medigap Plan F did not pay for HAs but did pay for CIs and sound processors. I don't have to tell you Jim as I know you are aware, Medicare Medigap plans and Medicare Advantage plans are two totally different animals. I use an Advanced Bionics CI and a Phonak HA. Both are owned by the same corporation. My last hearing aid decreased in price to $2,000.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 05-14-2024 at 6:07 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I'm pretty sure that original Medicare will not pay for hearing aids. You may find a Medicare Advantage plan that will pay for some of the cost of hearing aids.

If you know of a link that confirms that Medicare will pay for hearing aids, please post it.

Mike
    Ditto.... I'll be needing them in a year or two.
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

I'm sorry for suggesting something bogus. I'm not on Medicare and I don't know the details. I do know my Dad is on Medicare and he recently got hearing aids. I will talk with him tonight and get the details.

Major bummer. I'm sorry your local VA is so awful.
    Thanks.... I'm OK as I am on Trad. Medicare and also still a member of a Christian Medical Sharing Ministry (Samaritan Ministries).
    I budgeted for this many, many moons ago because I knew I would never want to be cornered into having to use the VA system in Phoenix.

Bear in min that the scandal came to light 10 years ago. The vets in the metro area were aware of the problems years before that.
    That is how I knew how bad it was long before I retired and planned accordingly.
    The folks I'm sorry for are those unemployed vets who have no other options (due to financial limitations) but don't yet qualify for medicare.
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

I just went to the VA Medical website. This should be no shocker but the eligibility requirements are quite complex!

Here's what I was able to copy from the eligibility portion of the website.

Am I eligible for VA health care benefits?
    You may be eligible for VA health care benefits if you served in the active military, naval, or air service and didn’t receive a dishonorable discharge.

If you enlisted after September 7, 1980, or entered active duty after October 16, 1981
    You must have served 24 continuous months or the full period for which you were called to active duty, unless any of the descriptions below are true for you.

This minimum duty requirement may not apply if any of these are true:

You were discharged for a disability that was caused—or made worse—by your active-duty service, or
    You were discharged for a hardship or “early out,” or
    You served prior to September 7, 1980
    If you’re a current or former member of the Reserves or National Guard
    You must have been called to active duty by a federal order and completed the full period for which you were called or ordered to active duty. If you had or have active-duty status for training purposes only, you don’t qualify for VA health care.

If you served in certain locations and time periods during the Vietnam War era
    You’re eligible for VA health care. Keep reading to learn more.

If you meet the basic service and discharge requirements and were exposed to toxins or other hazards while serving our country—at home or abroad
    You’re eligible for VA health care. This includes all Veterans who served in the Vietnam War, Gulf War, Iraq, Afghanistan, or any other combat zone after 9/11.

In the end, I'd suggest every vet should register to see IF they meet the eligibility requirements and qualify for medical assistance.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 05-14-2024 at 8:32 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

OK, major misunderstanding on my part. Again, so sorry. I assumed my Dad's hearing aids were free because for years he refused to pay money to buy them. Anyway...

- Yes, my dad has a Medicare Advantage plan through Humana.

- He went to an audiologist who told him about a new discount for hearing aids through Medicare Advantage

- He got hearing aids for a little less that half price. He paid around $1,300 for hearing aids which would otherwise cost over $3,000.

So, there is a big discount on hearing aids through Medicare Advantage.
    Last edited by Pat Germain; 05-14-2024 at 7:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    In the end, I'd suggest every vet should register to see IF the meet the requirements and qualify for medical assistance.
    Very good advice. Most any vet who was on active duty and received an honerable discharge can get VA health care. Of course, as Patty pointed out, the level of care varies greatly.

I just signed up a couple of months ago and discussed things very carefully with the staff. While I'm eligible for care, I dont have service related injuries, so no free care. They told me that I could get lots of routine things done through VA, and the costs would likely be lower than through commercial providers, but they would still charge for it. They took all my Medicare & supplemental insurance info as part of the sign up process. From what friends have told me, I think that they can be pretty creative in some cases, at considering things service related.
    < insert spurious quote here >

O
    So, there is a big discount on hearing aids through Medicare Advantage.
    To clarify, this is plan dependent, although it's a common feature to have discounted HA benefits. Medicare Advantage plans often also have vision and dental coverage for at least basic services. My plan also provides a $300 annual benefit that can be used for these things to allow for, say, buying a pair of glasses from any source, rather than just the providers in-network for the basic services. This is something that folks need to dig into the details before choosing which direction (regular Medicare with supplemental coverage or Medicare Advantage) as well as specific coverages for the latter for regular medical as well as things like hearing, dental and vision with the latter. This is obviously over and above any VA considerations which is the primary focus of this thread.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    I just signed up a couple of months ago and discussed things very carefully with the staff. While I'm eligible for care, I dont have service related injuries, so no free care. They told me that I could get lots of routine things done through VA, and the costs would likely be lower than through commercial providers, but they would still charge for it. They took all my Medicare & supplemental insurance info as part of the sign up process. From what friends have told me, I think that they can be pretty creative in some cases, at considering things service related.
    Yes, when I signed up with the VA they took my Medicare and supplemental information. I suspect they file a claim to Medicare when I get treatment, just as my non-VA doctor would.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    Jim, I have two friends that have had knee replacements in the last six months. Both of them have said that it was not as big a deal as they were expecting, you just have to faithfully do the post-surgery physical therapy. Both of them were experiencing significant discomfort pre-surgery. I’m not there..yet.
    Bruce only you know what the discomfort level is with your knee. Before I retired I had my left knee replaced. August 2021. Went in at 7AM and came home that afternoon. Started the physical therapy the next day. I returned to work at 6 weeks climbing in and out of my service truck and on and off equipment. I went from pain especially going down an incline or steps to no pain. I was worried because I favored it I was going to cause my other knee to also become equally as bad. Is a replacement as good as a good natural knee. Not a chance. It has some oddities to it and if I have to get on my knees it feels odd. That has diminished with time. Mine was done robotically as Jim mentioned. The knee replacements these days have replaceable inserts and the Dr said as long as it's monitored and done when needed it's a minor procedure to replace them. The activities that were painful are no longer painful and I have no regrets about having it done. I see people hobbling on bad knees and I sympathize with them but they have options in most instances. I do know some that didn't get along as well as expected. I think you have to do more than the minimum if you want the results to be good. To get increased range of motion one has to push a little when it hurts. At least that's how I approached it. Everyone has different pain tolerances. Just don't deal with pain everyday when 6 or 8 weeks of short term pain can give you relief.

I have an advantage plan and I could have gotten free hearing aids that you have to replace the batteries but they will supply them or I got the rechargable ones that only cost me $250. I had a choice of 2 different rechargable brands. I went with Resound brand.

I had been going to Costco for hearing aids and they were the same name brands at 1/3 the retail price. My hearing then got so bad I needed to have custom ear molds, price went way up for the same aids at a audiologist.

I found the VA here very good, no BS no run around. But even as I am a Vet, my hearing loss from jet engines on B-52s did not qualify when I applied years ago. But I understand things have changed. No, Medicare plan F does not cover hearing aids, and I will never sign up for Advantage Plans.
    Last edited by Bill George; 05-23-2024 at 7:51 AM.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10