Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    That's really a great piece, Michael. Out of curiosity, how to the Systainers come out. Are they on shelves with slides?
    Thanks Alan, they are attached via Festool 204871 drawer slides with 1/2" spacing. They're really great and give me individual access to one or a group of tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    That bench and storage setup is the bee's knees, Michael!!
    Thanks Jim. A workbench is a very personal thing and after a decade of 2 or 3 different types I know this works best for me.

Quote Originally Posted by George Yetka View Post
    That bench is great. With a couple attachment it seams like it can be a great slab flattening bench as well.
    Hah, cool idea! Besides being dead flat and absolutely zero movement/twisting no matter how hard you push on the side, I designed the bench with 15-series extrusion because with a few fasteners you have quite a bit of modularity.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Burnside View Post
    Hah, cool idea! Besides being dead flat and absolutely zero movement/twisting no matter how hard you push on the side, I designed the bench with 15-series extrusion because with a few fasteners you have quite a bit of modularity.
    Do you have attachments in mind or just the general idea of modulatrity?

Quote Originally Posted by George Yetka View Post
    Do you have attachments in mind or just the general idea of modulatrity?
    Oh yes.

1) sliding clamp assembly x2 - already have this built and it's awesome!
    2) sliding vacuum hose and tool holder (you can sort of see this in the picture) - can position anywhere along the front and even adjust height as needed
    3) vertical holding stops which allow me to hold wide/tall pieces horizontally against the table - you can see the two vertical extrusions with rules (these indicate in/mm from top of the table so I can decide how proud from the bench the piece needs to be)
    4) I have numerous attachments from Dashboard (https://www.dashboardpws.com/) which are just awesome, particularly their trackstars...cannot imagine not having them
    5) Pivoting assembly that will allow me to tilt/lift/slide a full 4x8 sheet onto the workbench with minimal effort

I have a few other ideas in mind but the above are the ones I've done or am working on.

The table is way over-built. It literally does not move even a mm if you push against it with all your might, so it will be able to support pretty much anything I have in mind. I really like your idea of slab flattening too, which would be really easy to do with the 92" horizontal 1545 extrusions and these uni-bearings (https://8020.net/6875.html)
    Last edited by Michael Burnside; 05-14-2024 at 11:54 AM.

Michael, nicely thought out bench. I am curious though, why the vertical tape measure strips on the inboard side of the sustainer cavities?

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick McCarthy View Post
    Michael, nicely thought out bench. I am curious though, why the vertical tape measure strips on the inboard side of the sustainer cavities?
    Next to that are two extrusions which will allow me to install two pegs (https://www.dashboardpws.com/shop/spirail-dogs). These pegs support workpieces that are clamped to the side of the bench. So if I have a 24" wide panel, I can set the pegs to 20" (using the tape you see) and know that the panel will be 4" proud of the workbench top. I don't have to guess where the workpiece will be, I'll know precisely Normally one peg is enough but the tape also allows me to make sure that if I use two pegs, they will be very close to parallel (close enough anyway).
    Last edited by Michael Burnside; 05-14-2024 at 2:57 PM.

Ah, makes a lot of sense. Thank you for the explanation.

Best, Patrick