Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Harvey ST-1500 Sliding Table question

I missed this response initially. It's really not too bad at all. Like 30 seconds maybe worth a small setup square.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    Got it, thanks. That putting the fence back on is where I had trouble with other attachments in the past getting it to return to 90 degrees to the blade.

As a follow up to this thread, I wanted to weigh in how much I like the sled. For me it was a game changer to make my saw everything I needed. The quality is superb, the sliding action smooth/solid and overall I'm very happy with the results. After calibration the cuts were dead on. Install is less than 1 hour, including calibration and something I was able to do without any assistance. The local Woodcraft has the SawStop version on the floor and IMHO the Harvey is built a bit better, particularly the vernier scale, lock and especially the stops, which alone are worth it for me.

3. I’m considering Harvey slider install on Jet saw that has a stock cast extension table on left. I’d like to leave extension and mount slider to it. It puts slider further to left of blade. Installation instructions suggest removing extensions. Do you think leaving it on will be a problem?

That is exactly how it is mounted to the SawStop PCS pictured above. The extension wing is still there.
    Ron
    Old Codger
    In it for fun

I'm guessing... sliding table attachment bolted to a 'conventional' tablesaw... at 'worst' it's at least as good as a miter gauge. Some distance further from the blade ....

But you've got an option to clamp something to the 'table' ...

An existing extension wing ... seems a good idea to eliminate it. A 'real' slider being some minimal clearance, 'zero', from the blade itself. But within some distance less then a foot... unless you're always doing tiny blocks, it's probably just fine.

I left mine on. Works great. Used it quite a bit today for cabinets I built under my new workbench. I’ll be posting this thread soon in the workshop forum.

Left mine on, works fine.

Thanks a lot guys ( for discussing this). Been on the fence for a few years. Kind of decided to get the Saw Stop version when I got around to it. I read what people were saying about the Harvey and that it was on sale and I got off the fence and ordered it. I now have an Excalibur sliding table for sale, do not need both. It does free up some room, the Excalibur is massive
    Tom

I have the Grizzly sliding table attachment and have it mounted to the cast iron table which makes it about 10" away from the blade. I know that by leaving the extension on gives you more surface but more dragging on the table saw service which I know we have been doing for years with miter gages. I just thing being closer to the blade gives you less fiction and smoother cuts. Love my slider after re doing the fence and miter gage.
    Thanks Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bussey View Post
    Thanks a lot guys ( for discussing this). Been on the fence for a few years. Kind of decided to get the Saw Stop version when I got around to it. I read what people were saying about the Harvey and that it was on sale and I got off the fence and ordered it. I now have an Excalibur sliding table for sale, do not need both. It does free up some room, the Excalibur is massive
    Tom, you will like it. I enjoy using mine quite a bit and it’s super simple to remove the fence and easy to square. Just note that the two silver tabs with set screws that hold the fence on the slider are reverse thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bussey View Post
    Tom, having had the Excalibur I bought from you and now the SawStop sliding crosscut version I can say the difference is significant. The SawStop is silky smooth as it glides from one end to the other. I'm certain the Harvey is virtually identical in almost every way. I think you will like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Bannister View Post
    I’m considering Harvey slider install on Jet saw that has a stock cast extension table on left. I’d like to leave extension and mount slider to it. It puts slider further to left of blade. Installation instructions suggest removing extensions. Do you think leaving it on will be a problem?
    Hi Phil, in my opinion you should have the sliding table as close to the blade as possible.

Regards, Rod

if you judge an Excalibur then consider there were likely five generations. I had two on one saw, they were first generation and primitive but on smaller stuff worked great to square one side then to length other side and not having spin parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Hi Phil, in my opinion you should have the sliding table as close to the blade as possible.

Regards, Rod
    Agreed. Mine, with extension, is about 2-ish inches away from the blade. On short stock where that would matter I use a miter gauge anyway as I prefer using that on short stock. I think you could probably get away with 4 or 5" without much issue