Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Milling machine as a mortiser

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Chris, that is my concern. I think the quill is strong enough, but the morse taper is not designed for lateral forces, and will drop out. At the same time I wonder if technique can overcome this - for example, plunging down along the mortice, and only cleaning up when there is minimal material to remove?

Note that I am not considering the drill press as a mill (such as levelling metals), but rather to "mill", that is, clean out the wooden waste in mortises.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Derek, have you considered getting the slot mortising attachment for the Hammer A3-31? A possible solution for what you're trying to do.

Clint

Oh, and there are milling machines with Morse taper spindles. They use a drawbar, no tang.

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Grass View Post
    Oh, and there are milling machines with Morse taper spindles. They use a drawbar, no tang.
    My Jet Mini mill is mt3 with a drawbar. Probably made around 1976.
    BillD

Hopefully, they have a cap on the spindle retaining the drawbar ... so unscrewing it pops the tool from the spindle.

Otherwise, it's 'tapping' on it with a hammer ... which *destroys* bearings long term.

AFAIK you have to make your own nut cage etc to make it a self ejecting drawbar. R8 tends to fall out on its own. Most other milling taper sare much more angled and tend to fall out on their own. Except for the extinct B+S taper.
    Full size mills can have the taper reground to something better in some cases.
    Bill D

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    My Lagun mill uses R8 collets. That, and every Bridgeport I have ever run (dozens of them) that used R8 collets required a tap on the drawbar to break the collet free.
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 05-12-2024 at 5:08 PM. Reason: spellin'
    Please help support the Creek.

"The older I get, the better I used to be."
    Lee Trevino

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    For furniture sized work I can cut perfect square end mortises with the Maka in about 4-5 seconds each
    I've rebuilt a few of those in years past and know this to be quite true. It just has to be seen to be believed. With a longer bit for deep mortises, the time might extend to 5-7 seconds. Might.

A full size mill still isn't a good woodworking machine except for fussy little precision details and even then, dust collection is a must. I've tried it for mortises once. It's rather slow and the time it takes to make the tenon round isn't worth the trouble.

M&T vm - 1.jpg

Agree that a mill is useful for some odd woodworking tasks but would not want it for a mortiser. In my works I have a Maka and a nice vintage HC. It’s a good combination for the work I do. The HC is good for one off work and small mortises. The Maka flys on production jobs.

No flanged drawbar and retaining nut I could find for the Max' V-10. He bought one of the oddball collets for the lathe spindle, and then made an adapter nose for 6-K collets. I kinda remember he had to grind a bit of clearance in the spindle as well.

And replaced most of the die-cast handwheels with cast iron. There's no way I could estimate the number of bent and machined brass wires we made for HP. Some sort of RF 'mixer. Black magic...

I bought a 40 taper Lagun. Mod'd the drawbar and drive keys to use my CAT holders. And then mod'd an R-8 right angle head to drive with the 'Cat' spindle.

R-8 .. a couple brand new mills with brand new collets would pop right out. Given some use, maybe with people not keeping them perfectly clean... they get tiny dimples in the taper. And then they need the tap.

The taper angle, 8deg?, the Sin/Cos/Tan is the coefficient of friction for steel on steel?

Duh, it's the Clausing 8520 that has the collar to eject the collets, MT 2.

He bought one of the oddball collets for the lathe spindle, and then made an adapter nose for 6-K collets.

That was a strange choice.
    AFAIK, 6K only fits the South Bend 10K ("light 10" ") lathe, and maybe some oddball indexer or dividing head ISTR. Really, nearly nothing but the 10K lathes, and people with a 10K will pay for them. It is also a weird collet with a slot in the side of one jaw to slide over/engage a roll pin sideways through the nose taper. (rather than the stem/shank)

It sounds like there may have been enough room to adapt a slightly more common 4c, or even maybe the cheap and ubiquitous 5c system?

Maximat V-10. It's rather puny. No way a 5c could be used.

Swapping pieces out on my Graziano pushed me to a D1-4 spindle mounted collet chuck. Going thru the motions of mounting the lever collet closer for a one off was just dumb.

Ummm, yeah ...

A drive pin in the taper of the collet nose vs a key in the cylindrical body, and sometimes a remnant of milling it left in the thread, ala 5c.

2 piece adapter he made, hardened and then ground in place on the spindle.

Far more ambitious than I'd ever be ... but ... then there's the stuff my grandfather left behind. Drill press, looks like a couple castings and the rest from barstock? And a bench vise most likely from solid bar. Doesn't clamp very well. The fit between the jaw and body is too tight. I remember my dad demonstrating with a 1/2" bar, flipping the handle to lock it and it bounced back open.

We use a Bridgeport everyday in the shop for wood and metal and plastics. Gumming up is absolutely not a problem, they are made to operate in rather filthy conditions. Also, the speed range is perfectly adequate for wood, especially for larger cutters, which require lower speeds anyway.