Thread: If you like shop built tools, this video is pretty enjoyable...

If you like shop built tools, this video is pretty enjoyable...

If you like shop built tools, this video is pretty enjoyable...even though it's nearly an hour and a half. Marius Hornberger decided to make an OSS/OBS that was multiple steps above typical commercially available tools using all kinds of 3D printing, in-shop machining, CNC and even his table saw. LOL I would never do this, but it's a very kewel project.

--

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Yes, I'm looking forward watching that one, the length has me hesitating so far. Need to set aside the time and make a big bowl of popcorn.

very interesting, I have only watched 25 minutes so far, will watch the rest later. thanks for posting.

Blog Entries
    What a smart and capable engineer & craftsman. I watched it 2X speed and still spent too much time on the web yesterday. It was worth it to see the capability of modern techniques. I assume if a sander like that were to go into production it would be made of more steel and less wood and plastic.

He's done a lot of creative things over time. What I like about this particular video is how he took the time and effort to really explain the design; what didn't work as well as what did work. The end result met the requirements he wrote down early on for sure. If that machine magically appeared in my shop...it would never leave, at least while I was still waking up on the correct side of the grass.
    --

Blog Entries
    He also did a very thorough job creating plans and programs. Having done it all digitally makes his invention almost ready for mass production. It is a very nifty sander & a great lesson in prototyping. I have wanted an oscillating spindle sander, I will hold off a little longer.
    Thanks for posting Jim.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Thanks for posting that Jim. It took two sessions, but I totally enjoyed the video. He has a nice shop including a small CNC with a 14 station ATC that he designed and built. I’m surprised he doesn’t have a metal working milling machine.
    I have worked with many excellent mechanical engineers, and he is right up there with the best of them.
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 05-09-2024 at 11:34 PM.
    Please help support the Creek.

"The older I get, the better I used to be."
    Lee Trevino

I actually just watched the ATC video last night...very creative with the way he has the gantry reposition the tool tray at the back max travel so there's no interfering with the cutting area. He's really clever, things things through and more notably, isn't afraid to fail and find a solution to get beyond it.
    --