Thread: Stopped by Liberty Tool Co

Stopped by Liberty Tool Co

IMG_3115.jpgI’m visiting Maine to take a chair class with Andy Glenn. While here, I had to make a stop and look around Liberty Tool Co. I had to pass up a few items that are too heavy to fly home, but made a couple purchases. A few F clamps labeled “Standard”, an unknown spokeshave with a pre-Stanley, Bailey iron. The shave has a tight mouth and was too interesting to pass up. Finally, a draw knife in such nice shape that I couldn’t pass it by. Handles are tight, no pitting, no grinder abuse and it’s never been hammered on. The name on it is A.W. Crossman or maybe A.W. Grossman? Anyhow, it was easy enough to put an edge on, let’s see if it keeps an edge.

IMG_3113.jpg
    IMG_3115.jpg IMG_3116.jpg
    IMG_3114.jpg
    IMG_3112.jpg IMG_3111.jpg

The Crossman drawknife looks nice, good find. I have a couple of A. W. Crossman framing chisels with laminated blades and they are easy to sharpen and hold a good edge under heavy use. From the closeup it looks as if the drawknife may be laminated construction. If it is, and the drawknife doesn't meet your expectations, send it to me, and I will keep it out of the landfill. I will do this as a no cost service.

Blog Entries
    Nice finds.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Patrick, I put an edge on that knife last night and shaped spindles and legs with it today. Fortunately/unfortunately your landfill prevention services are not needed. I do thank you kindly for the thoughtful offer.

Well darn. Thanks for telling me, at least I won't be waiting by the mailbox.
    How do you sharpen your drawknives? I can only get mine sorta sharp. I think I have broken the code on my chisels and carving gouges, but the drawknives, not so much. I try using hand held stones, but am afraid to get too close to the edge.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick C Daugherty View Post
    How do you sharpen your drawknives? I can only get mine sorta sharp. I think I have broken the code on my chisels and carving gouges, but the drawknives, not so much. I try using hand held stones, but am afraid to get too close to the edge.
    I’ve had good luck with Peter Galbert’s drawsharp. Benchcrafted sells them, though they are currently out of stock

https://benchcrafted.com/products/dr...42645357625520

I learned from George Sawyer…

No matter what method you use, the back needs to be reasonably flat and the bevel needs to be uniform. If the back has been beaten on and there’s some mushrooming, use a file to smooth that out prior to flattening the back. For establishing an even and consistent bevel, use a bench grinder and work slow or a tormek and be forced to work slow. Curtis Buchanan has a great video on this. Then for honing the edge, and this is what I learned from George, use little diamond paddles. They come in four packs from both DMT or EZ-Lap. It’s easier than working with a whole stone and since they have handles you can easily keep your fingers safe. Once finished with the extra fine, I strop.

The Galbert drawsharp has a reputation for being great too.
    Last edited by David Zor; 05-07-2024 at 10:43 PM.

If you use a stone to sharpen you can clamp the stone in a machinist vise then just go after the edge of the shave holding the handles. Otha pretty easy to maintain a consistent angle.
    Jim
    Ancora Yacht Service