Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Tools that are junk, IMO

Blog Entries
    I have and use all of these tools as well. My aviation snips rank right up there with my hunting equipment. Go ahead and try to pry them from my cold fingers. If it were not for Karl Klenk we might be corresponding in German.

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    we might be corresponding in German.
    I wouldn't have an issue with that.

(makes reading felders technical doc easier, but talking to their support harder)
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Every tool has a time and place. I won’t go through the list an argue my point, but every tool on the list has a time and place for being the perfect tool for the job. You may not use some of them, but each has its place.
    Regards,

Tom

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    I have and use all of these tools as well. My aviation snips rank right up there with my hunting equipment. Go ahead and try to pry them from my cold fingers. If it were not for Karl Klenk we might be corresponding in German.
    My pocket screw rig is a 3/8 spade bit. I have not seen my contour thing-a-ma-jiggy in years.

The tool I expected to use a lot and turns out I rarely use is a biscuit joiner. Nothing against them just don’t feel a need very often. I’m sure some people use them a lot. Will keep it though.

Every junk drawer deserves a 4 way screwdriver. 😉
    Last edited by Ron Citerone; 12-01-2023 at 10:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Citerone View Post

Every junk drawer deserves a 4 way screwdriver. 
    I'm sure this could be another thread but I don't, won't ever, have a junk drawer. This goes for the kitchen as well as the shop.

Blog Entries
    I don't think there is a day of woodworking when I don't use my squish clamps (as I call them)

Also not sure what the replacement is for ROS...
    Yes, I have 3 phase!

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas McCurnin View Post
    Every tool has a time and place. I won’t go through the list an argue my point, but every tool on the list has a time and place for being the perfect tool for the job. You may not use some of them, but each has its place.
    Well said!

Quote Originally Posted by mike calabrese View Post
    Wow I can see this topic really taking off.
    My turn on the runway.......
    IMHO just about any tool that is marketed as a tool that can do several jobs is junk. Tools are made to address a specific function. When that focus is blurred so is the effectiveness of the tool. I could go on and on but pictures are worth a thousand words .............
    On the other hand not all multi tools are really junk one example I would offer is a true swiss army knife , a true brand letherman . Even then each individual feature is somewhat compromised in size or broad reach of function.
    Anyway off to Harbor Freight to get some of those multi tool time and money savers
    calabrese55

Attachment 511334

Attachment 511332

Attachment 511335

I agree with this, except for the ever-present Swiss Army knife, and I carry a Gerber multitool, which is used almost 100% as one hand operable collapsible plier.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Citerone View Post
    The tool I expected to use a lot and turns out I rarely use is a biscuit joiner. Nothing against them just don’t feel a need very often. I’m sure some people use them a lot. Will keep it though.
    Like you, I still have me biscuit joiner...a Freud 102. It rarely gets use, but when it's the right tool, it's the right tool. I think the last time I pulled it out was actually to make a few groves for splines...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

- 4 in one screwdrivers. A good ratcheting screw driver can be great (wera and mac are the 2 I own and love. I have separate screwdrivers for prying) the 4-1 were great when i was in the trades
    - Quick grip clamps. Bessey extra heavy I just upgraded to are up to the task
    - Random orbit sanders. Cheap RO sanders with cheap paper will cause this. I remember as a kid my fathers entry level bosch with 10 cent paper doing this.
    - Contour gauge. Never used one
    - Electronic stud finder. rarely use one but magnets or the franklin
    - Straight cutting aviator snips. Agree though I hate using lefts or rights also
    - Bent claw hammer. Id rather have a pneumatic and a pry bar
    - Pocket screws. quick and easy for cabinet stretchers is the only time I really use them.

Theres plenty I think of as junk now but did the job just fine for me before finding my way to better stuff.
    Light duty F clamps(deflect way too much), Bosch palm router(couldnt hold height), Paslode(never charged/gas always empty), Home depot/Lowes( I used to love going there and tool shopping but now I know you cant get great stuff there just some good stuff), low end compressors (too loud to use in the garage. I bought a grex cordless to avoid the sound after a couple years)

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weber View Post
    I'm sure this could be another thread but I don't, won't ever, have a junk drawer. This goes for the kitchen as well as the shop.
    Where do you keep your junk?

My wife hates the junk drawer in the kitchen. She prefers the junk on the counter because "Messy drawers drive me crazy"

My wife prefers her junk on the counter.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Like you, I still have me biscuit joiner...a Freud 102. It rarely gets use, but when it's the right tool, it's the right tool. I think the last time I pulled it out was actually to make a few groves for splines...

Interestingly enough , ELU (Swiss co. gobbled up by B&D for their routers and biscuit joiners) had a version of their joiner that was purpose built for exactly that.

It had several part #'s

DS140

and was also available (may still be) in DeWalt livery as the DW685

Good ol' Norm even used one on very early episodes of the NYWS.

https://offerup.com/item/detail/646665912

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Wood View Post
    I agree with this, except for the ever-present Swiss Army knife, and I carry a Gerber multitool, which is used almost 100% as one hand operable collapsible plier.
    That is why I carry a Gerber I can open it with a flick of the wrist Unlike the Leatherman that my buddy carries
    Last edited by Jerome Stanek; 12-01-2023 at 6:17 PM.