Thread: Japanese Woodworking Tool Suppliers?

Japanese Woodworking Tool Suppliers?

It's been a while since I've looked at the latest high end Japanese Woodworking tools but the latest Mortise Gauge thread inspired me to look for a nice Kebiki Mortise Gauge. After some quick Google it appears as though all the OG Japanese Tool suppliers are not around anymore. I see that Hida Tool is still around but they don't have the version I'm looking for. Tools From Japan used to be where I picked up a lot of tools but I know he went out a few years back. I recall there being another site called "Iadai Tool", which I really think is spelled wrong, but can't seem to find them. Are there any other Japanese Tool Suppliers that are selling good quality Japanese Woodworking Hand Tools that I'm not finding?

Bit of a language barrier, but here's a nice one. The blades have a double angle, which is great for us left- handers. I've gone to a lot of trouble to re-grind these things, but now also just adapt and use them right- handed.

http://www.daiku-dougu.jp/kehiki-matsuimagunetto.html

Blog Entries
    You might try Covington & Sons Tools, Google is your friend.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I just got some things from Japanese woodworking tools Australia. Some things to note, getting them here was fairly simple. Getting them to my house was a pain. Got an e mail with a bunch of questions, including them wanting my social security number, which I didn't give them. About 2 weeks later, I got an e mail saying I owed import duty. So, took care of that. Then, I got a bunch of e mails about they tried to deliver, but no one was home. I have a detached shop, and I was home, but they didn't try the shop. I was on e mail with them the next day, and the shipping business, DHL, and was getting automated answers. I asked to chat with a real person. The person I ended up getting must have been chatting with a couple of other people considering how long it took to get responses out of them. The final comment was it will be shipped on Wednesday. I replied that I wasn't going to be home on Wednesday, and that was the last I heard from them. The package arrived on Tuesday, and my house keeper got the package for me, and again I was in the shop. One would think that the delivery company would call ahead since they knew that this was a residential company. I got several planes, and plane irons since I want to build some of this style plane, once I figure out how to set them up properly. One really nice thing though, the blades were sharp.

robo hippy

There are usually a few sellers from Japan selling on eBay. Often learning the name of things is the hardest part, once I get that down I can start finding hits.

I searched for "kebiki mortise" and found a few hits from Japan but don't have the knowledge to assess any further.

Of course on eBay you miss out on some warranty or customer service, so you have to be comfortable with the purchase up front.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McCue View Post
    There are usually a few sellers from Japan selling on eBay. Often learning the name of things is the hardest part, once I get that down I can start finding hits.

I searched for "kebiki mortise" and found a few hits from Japan but don't have the knowledge to assess any further.

Of course on eBay you miss out on some warranty or customer service, so you have to be comfortable with the purchase up front.
    I'll add to Jim's post by saying, you can get a deal on Ebay but there a couple of things you can do to help yourself out.
    As mentioned, learning the names, language can be difficult, especially with many different types and styles of the same tool.
    Start broad before you narrow your search, many times items are listed in categories you might not consider.
    Try multiple spellings of the same item, sellers don't always get it correct.
    Always view all listings, even if you don't like bidding. Many times there is a "make offer" option.

I have purchased "lumbar" a time or two.

Last month or so, a guy was trying to sell an antique scraper holder (like a spokeshave). I had to tell him that it was not what he thought it was and I got a better deal on an auger handle.

Good luck