Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Home depot treated 4x4 fence posts rotting

Honestly, I'm not surprised. It's pretty difficult to distinguish between different "grades" of pressure treating at the box stores and on the box stores' online sites and there may also be some variability in the supply chain that adds to the grins and giggles. Many of the folks in the store also may not truly understand the difference between "ground contract" and "buried" when it comes to treated materials. It's probably a good practice to source "in the ground" treated materials from a true lumber yard where you can specify the requirement and insure the best results.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Friends sometimes ask me why I buy construction lumber at the local lumber yard, where it generally costs measurably more, when I could just saddle up the truck and head to Menards, Lowes or Home Depot. This is one of the reasons: I know the local guys won't sell me the wrong stuff, and won't sell me crap. A 6 X 6 post will be rated for burial, because I asked for a post. AB plywood will be flat, and dry. A bundle of 2 X 6s for framing will be 99% straight and usable. And I can purchase 105% of what I think I'll need, and bring the excess back with no restocking fee. It costs more, but I get more.

When we replace our current fence, we plan to use metal posts. Fence guys want >$250 to replace a post. I know how, just too old. Brian
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Demuth View Post
    Would you explain, please, what you mean by "hydraulic" vs "pneumatic vacuum?" A vacuum is a vacuum.

And I don't believe the vacuum used in pressure treating is particularly hard, at least from a physics point of view. Unless I'm mistaken, the standard approach goes down to about 20kPa - which means they remove about 80% of the air in the chamber/wood. I do way better than that with a vacuum bag for veneer pressing. The intent is not so much to dry the wood, as to remove that would otherwise have to be compressed by the pressure treatment, and which would provide hydraulic pressure to expel the treatment when the pressure is removed.
    Guilty of some hyperbole in there. Early generation treating operations used pneumatics for vac and pressure - much less efficient operation, and longer cycle times.

However, for comparative analysis of atmospheric pressure acting on a veneer vac bag, versus an 80'+ x 6' diameter pressure vessel needing to cycle door-open-to-door-open in an hour, I cede you all rights, authority, and appurtenances thereto for that tangential rabbit hole
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Runau View Post
    When we replace our current fence, we plan to use metal posts. Fence guys want >$250 to replace a post. I know how, just too old. Brian
    I replace a lot of posts, fences, decks, Pole barns. I am not charging enough!

IMG_1619.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Demuth View Post
    Friends sometimes ask me why I buy construction lumber at the local lumber yard, where it generally costs measurably more, when I could just saddle up the truck and head to Menards, Lowes or Home Depot. This is one of the reasons: I know the local guys won't sell me the wrong stuff, and won't sell me crap. A 6 X 6 post will be rated for burial, because I asked for a post. AB plywood will be flat, and dry. A bundle of 2 X 6s for framing will be 99% straight and usable. And I can purchase 105% of what I think I'll need, and bring the excess back with no restocking fee. It costs more, but I get more.
    I want to shop at Steve's lumber yard!
    Flat plywood and straight 2x6 framing stock. Lucky guy

Dan, I have found that the quality available at the local, full service lumber yard is noticeably better than at the 'borg. They cater largely to custom builders in this area and there's an expectation of a high bar from those primary customers. They don't want to have to over-buy to get what they need and don't want excessive waste, either. Straight and true counts a lot for both reduced labor and better results. The prices are about 20%+ higher than the 'borg, but if I'm going to do something that will benefit from that quality, even as a DIY guy, I'll make that trip.
    --

Thanks for heads up Jim. I have only been going to local lumber yards since 1982. Just not in Iowa.

Blog Entries
    CCA is still available and still used. I was told The EPA wants it to be in a sleeve or shrink wrapped in heavy PVC if it will be in the ground or in water. Our lumber yard will bring in your CCA order in if you have Architectural and Engineering stamped plans specifying CCA. Pontoon boat decking is still allowed to be CCA. I have started using plastic post protectors. It will be interesting to see how much they help.

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    I replace a lot of posts, fences, decks, Pole barns. I am not charging enough!

IMG_1619.jpg
    Couldn't agree more, just can't do it now. Brian
    Brian

Maurice, you bring up a good point...there are some interesting wraps available to help with post preservation on the market now. Some bond to the wood with heat; some are simpler wraps and some are simple protector sleeves.
    --