Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations for Dado Blades please

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    check Silver's Mill pricing on the Forrest.
    That is Slivers Mill if you are doing a search for their prices.

Quote Originally Posted by tim walker View Post
    Have had a Freud set for many many years. A few years back I let some metal touch the blade on a SawStop and it did exactly as it was supposed to, it stopped and retracted. Of course the SS mechanism needed replacing, but the tooth that embedded in the aluminum block look a little nicked but ok, or maybe it isnt as I am having some severe tearout in some jewelry box partitions.

If you were buying a new dado set, what would be your go to? 8" only please.

I might add that I cut dados only on rare occasions.
    Contact Dynamic Saw and see what they would charge to repair and sharpen your existing set.

Another vote for Forrest here - love mine

Might be discontinued, but my set by SystiMatic is a heckuva tool. Chippers are on full-circle plates, both the four 1/8” the 1/16” one. That’s a lot of concentric metal mass. The bottom of the dado is grooved, but the router plane makes short work of flattening it out.

No one ever mentions these.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Jones 5443 View Post
    Might be discontinued, but my set by SystiMatic is a heckuva tool. Chippers are on full-circle plates, both the four 1/8” the 1/16” one. That’s a lot of concentric metal mass. The bottom of the dado is grooved, but the router plane makes short work of flattening it out.

No one ever mentions these.
    SystiMatic, as a brand, was discontinued over a decade ago. Probably why no one mentions them.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

I use the Freud Dial a Width, really easy to get exact width without messing around with shims. Also nice clean cut.

Forrest Dado King. Slightly OT I lost a tooth in a sawstop stop block. Forrest was able to repair the tooth and re-grind the set. works like new

That explains it. Glad I got one before then.

Are there any current models with full-circle chippers?

Oshlun Dado chippers are round

I have a Freud Sd 206 - which might explain why I prefer to use a router instead of a dado blade.

I also have a Freud box joint blade - which I use a lot more than either the SD 206 or the router.

The box joint blade makes dead flat dados.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Dados are delicate. You can’t be clanking them together. You have to align them carefully. Some of them will roll around …like other
    unbalanced stuff . I have used masking tape to keep them in place until tightened . In commercial shops there are always at least one
    nut-case who wants to set a new world record for speedy set -up . If you can’t abide a minute of tedium, grab a broom and set a new
    shop sweep up record.

Ridge Carbide

https://ridgecarbidetool.com/collect...er-dado-master

Just a reminder....

Someone on an earlier thread noted that SS recommends using a dado set that does not have the safety nibs. I believe he said the stop mechanism works better for some reason.

I never looked in the manual myself, as I have never used the SS for dado's, still use my Unisaw for that.

I do know that my Forrest set has no nibs, and my Freud set has them.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruperto Mendiones View Post
    Forrest Dado King. Slightly OT I lost a tooth in a sawstop stop block. Forrest was able to repair the tooth and re-grind the set. works like new
    A good sharpening service can assess and possibly repair the stack you have for a fraction of new. I've run a Freud SD508 and 208 for years. I also have the DeWalt 7670 which does a nice job. I pretty much use the 208 for ply and composites, the 508 for hardwoods and the 7670 as a spare.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 09-16-2023 at 9:35 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    Just a reminder....

Someone on an earlier thread noted that SS recommends using a dado set that does not have the safety nibs. I believe he said the stop mechanism works better for some reason.

I never looked in the manual myself, as I have never used the SS for dado's, still use my Unisaw for that.

I do know that my Forrest set has no nibs, and my Freud set has them.
    Nibs? Please explain

I did post a link earlier that Freud has a Dado set that they recommend for SS