Thread: DeWalt Stealthsonic Shop Vac - My Ears Love It

DeWalt Stealthsonic Shop Vac - My Ears Love It

Just picked one up at Lowes for $139 after reading about it on another forum. Also bought a $50 HEPA filter to go with it.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/DEWALT-12Ga...Vac/5013026391

https://www.lowes.com/pd/DEWALT-Reus...ter/1000514077

This thing in INSANELY quiet compared to my old screaming banshee, F-16 at full-throttle shop vac. You can have a normal conversation while this is running.

Lots of reviews on YouTube. Here's a good one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IovAxzbXYPE

Now I just have to make a few minor modifications to my Dust Deputy cart to make it fit.
    Last edited by Steve Engelschall; 09-15-2023 at 8:49 AM.

Thanks for posting this. Does it have suction equal to ShopVac and Rigid big ones? Also, do other brand hoses fit it, and how about filters and bags? I have several Shop Vac and Rigid ones and an accumulation of filters and bags, so it would only be worth making the switch if all that fitted.

It's subjective, but it feels like the suction is the same between this "5.5HP" DeWalt and my old "6HP" ShopVac. The hoses are interchangeable. The filters (no surprise) are NOT interchangeable. Same diameter, but the ShopVac brand filters are about 1" shorter than the DeWalt, and the locking mechanisms are different and unique to each brand. I don't use bags, but I have a hunch they would be cross-compatible.
    Last edited by Steve Engelschall; 09-15-2023 at 10:04 AM.

The XF-84H Thunderscreech had a prop that turned around the speed of sound. Each prop tip(3) would break the sound barrier over 100 times a second. When it flew(12 test flights) there were noise complaints from homes as much as 25 miles away. It was said to be about 200 db. It caused men caught in the prop-wash to vomit or faint, and even triggered a seizure in one nearby engineer.

The only thing louder is a ridgid shop vac in a closed space.

Also rocking the Dewalt, and also pleasantly surprised at how quiet it is. I had always assumed that the old shop vac was as good as it was going to get, but clearly not.

It's good that the hoses are interchangeable. I have some long ones, and all sorts of ends. I didn't want to replace all that, but only having to buy new HEPA filters doesn't sound so bad. Quieter will be better. I just gave away several older ones that still worked, but kept three in different shops and an old house. I'll just reshuffle with the quiet one staying here.

I always use the HEPA yellow bags for fine dust, including sanding dust, even though I wear a supplied air hood.

Quote Originally Posted by George Yetka View Post
    The XF-84H Thunderscreech ...

The only thing louder is a ridgid shop vac in a closed space.
    LOL!!!

Sweet looking plane, one of my all time favorites. F7F Tigercat as well, but mainly just from a front view.

Beech Bonanza also has the tips supersonic at redline, with the 2 blade prop. Very distinctive sound, I dont even have to look ... but I do anyway. Private field across the road.

My 14 gallon Ridgid is on its second motor and I am guessing it will wear out the brushes (which are not available) in another year or two and then I'd like to buy one of these. Quieter would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Zachary Hoyt View Post
    My 14 gallon Ridgid is on its second motor and I am guessing it will wear out the brushes (which are not available) in another year or two and then I'd like to buy one of these. Quieter would be nice.
    Aftermarket brushes are readily available. You might have to sand them to size but a carbon electric motor brush is very soft.

I bought a pair of brushes that were for something else and sanded them to fit my old ShopVac.