Thread: Usps-1, ups 0

Usps-1, ups 0

Tuesday afternoon, I placed two orders. First was for replacement tines for my Troy-Bilt Horse tiller. Vendor is Clean Cutter Tiller Blades, located in San Bernardino CA. Order shipped priority mail. Today, by 10:30 AM had tines, which had traveled over 2500 miles in less than two days. Second order was for a pressure switch for air compressor. Nine hours and forty eight minutes after leaving Maumee OH, order was at UPS hub in Charlotte NC, a distance of 560 miles. Later same day (Wednesday) order went from Charlotte to hub in Greensboro, about ninety miles in an hour and a half. Order left Greensboro hub at 6:07 PM yesterday, which is less than 70 miles from my house. UPS tracking only shows it leaving Greensboro hub, last night. No further update since then. I guess my package has gone to never land of UPS.

Blog Entries
    UPS tracking seems to be short on real information.

My guess is the "left" times may be when it was tossed into a bin headed for the "next destination."

Locally the USPS seems to be working a little harder at earning the business.

The way times have changed, they may be doing more business with packages than letter rate products. Almost all of our billing is online now. We don't even get as much junk mail as in the past. Our postal carrier used to call that "jobs mail" since it did a lot to pay their wages.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

My postal carrier gets paid to be either incompetent or illiterate...or both.
    My house is number 728. One street over and running in the same N-S orientation is another house with number 728.
    The city was stupid to allow identical house numbers anywhere near each other, but municipal stupidity is a topic I won't touch because it is a black hole.
    Anyway , the carrier (of a stupid gene) apparently reads the number and stops there.. the street names in no way resemble each other, but he is not to be outwitted.
    I can't tell you the number of times I've not gotten mail, packages (sometimes expensive items). He also misdelivers my "paper" mail to other houses on the street.
    I'm sure he misdelivers my neighbors' mail too, but no one else has the identical house number problem, where they've lost parcels.
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

In Indianapolis USPS is generally slower and their tracking software does not seem to be as good as UPS. Brian
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    UPS tracking seems to be short on real information.

My guess is the "left" times may be when it was tossed into a bin headed for the "next destination."

Locally the USPS seems to be working a little harder at earning the business.

The way times have changed, they may be doing more business with packages than letter rate products. Almost all of our billing is online now. We don't even get as much junk mail as in the past. Our postal carrier used to call that "jobs mail" since it did a lot to pay their wages.

jtk
    UPS has something called 'UPS My Choice' which it sounds like will provide more detailed package progress information. USPS seems to have become another small package carrier. I've had to swap correspondence with the FAA in Oklahoma City. USPS certified service has been 2-4 days which seems reasonable of course retail cost is about $10 per letter. Priority mail seems okay, maybe anything with a tracking number gets reasonable service. First class? It's the luck of the draw, might be pretty good, might really suck.

Priority Mail was done by air in the past. I don't know if that is still the same these days with changes the USPS is making to save money. UPS ground is done by truck or train typically.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    Priority Mail was done by air in the past. I don't know if that is still the same these days with changes the USPS is making to save money. UPS ground is done by truck or train typically.
    That might still be true Brian, based on price. Priority mail is only a couple bucks cheaper than certified.

Blog Entries
    My house is number 728. One street over and running in the same N-S orientation is another house with number 728.
    I used to have a similar problem when living in tract housing. There are only so many numbers to be used. Most areas try to keep parallel streets in the same groupings. In other words if you are on as street with the nearest corner being with 27th Street, you likely have an address like 26xx or 27xx depending on which direction from the cross street you happen to be. Then it is dependent on how many addresses there are. Some times there are few enough to allow for skipping numbers as you suggest. Most of the time it is done by some bureaucrat looking at a large map. The answer to this might be using the 9 digit zip code and possibly a complaint to the local Post Master.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I found a pink box under the neighbors rear bumper. One foot to the rear of the license plate. I looked and it was doughuts. Left it on their porch. turns out door dash delivered it to the asphalt.
    Now every time I see that black ford focus parked on the street I look to see if any doughnuts are parked behind it.
    BilLD

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    I found a pink box under the neighbors rear bumper. One foot to the rear of the license plate. I looked and it was doughuts. Left it on their porch. turns out door dash delivered it to the asphalt.
    Now every time I see that black ford focus parked on the street I look to see if any doughnuts are parked behind it.
    BilLD
    Sad (paying for poor service), but funny too.
    I should be so lucky....(but I would want them to be Krispy Kremes or Dunkins)
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”