Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: What is your least favorite furniture design trend?

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Like a lot of folks, almost anything done well will attract me. Annoying trends might include rustic, recycled, and what I call "Waterbed Warehouse" . . . things made from 2x or pallet wood. I like MCM because I grew up with it. The latest over-doing of it has put me off. Like the latest pop tune it is easy to kill something by blaring it in your face long enough . The interesting twist for me are styles I don't really care for but find I really admire the craftsmanship of. Inlay, stringing, Queen Anne, Federal, and some other styles would never find their way into my home but the skill set and execution are captivating. I react the same to a lot of architecture. The design and styling really "wow" me but I wouldn't want to live there
    Yes....I have the same thoughts as what I bolded above.
    Chris

I'm also with Glenn...consistent with my earlier reply, I love the craftsmanship that goes into the intricate Queen Anne, Federal and other styles, even though they are not "my thing" and wouldn't be appropriate for my own home and use.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

+1 on Glenn's Comment
    There is no end to the craftsmanship and construction methods to admire without actually liking the overall look of the piece.

With the exception of river tables, I don't care how well they're done, they're offensive and a hate crime against wood.
    JMHO

This is my least favorite. https://a.1stdibscdn.com/george-naka...=60&width=1318

I respect the craftsman, but dislike this design.
    But what do I know - it’s being sold for $85,000.

I like this one even less: https://a.1stdibscdn.com/george-naka...=60&width=1318

Only $64,000
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Serious heresy warning---

For me it is the ubiquitous Krenov or Krenov-inspired cabinet. I don't like the proportions, I don't like the uselessness of the space provided, and I really don't like the pretentiousness and preciousness associated with them. I appreciate the superb woodworking put into many of them, but I'm left asking "Why bother?"

I can forgive the river tables because, for the most part, they know not what they do. And I'm pretty sure I won't need to look at them for the next 50 years.

I'm now prepared to be cast forever from the woodworking community.

I assume MCM stands for 1950's furniture. When I was a boy in the early 50's, my parents bought new end tables, coffee table, and a bedroom set, all done in the 'Modern' style popular at the time. It was then advertised as 'Swedish', and was all simple designed furniture that looks a bit like Ikea does now. It was birch(?) veneer, finished in whitewashed varnish, and very spartan looking.

I still remember it in our knotty pine paneled living room, with the new sectional sofa and cotton rugs. At that time, the house was full of what was called 'Colonial' furniture, which was heavy, maple finished furniture with lots of turned legs.

When I married, we ended up with the sectional sofa and bedroom set in our house. It was accompanied by any other 'Colonial' or 'Early American' furniture relatives wanted to donate, and remained there for over 10 years until we could afford to upgrade. Our house is still basically 'Early American' but I guess my favorite style is 'Early Salvation Army'.

Now, the 'Modern' bedroom set is at our desert cabin.
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 09-08-2023 at 1:29 PM.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

With “pallet furniture” , it’s easy to make something unpalletable but always welcome in the fire place. Think it might have debuted at
    Woodstock .

All this talk about river tables....

About 5 years ago I was talking with my financial advisor.
    One thing we were discussing for budgeting considerations was the "hobbies" expense.
    I mentioned (along with astronomy) the woodworking classes I was taking and the associated expenses.

His immediate (and very excited) response was, " Do you make River Tables?!"
    Me: "No. Never."
    Him: "Why not?"
    Me: "Not going there. Just 'No'. "
    He was disappointed, to say the least.
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

Can we throw "TV installed over the fireplace" here? I know it ain't furniture but its pretty awful.

Quote Originally Posted by james jayko View Post
    can we throw "tv installed over the fireplace" here? I know it ain't furniture but its pretty awful.
    ^^^^ this ^^^^
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

Quote Originally Posted by James Jayko View Post
    Can we throw "TV installed over the fireplace" here? I know it ain't furniture but its pretty awful.
    Beyond the aesthetics, it puts the tv at a height that requires you to crane your neck to watch it, and the heat from the fireplace isn't good for the electronics either (the rule of thumb I've always heard is that a 10 degree F increase in operating temperature results in the life of the electronics being cut in half). Unfortunately, some open concept homes don't allow for locating a tv anywhere else in the family room/great room, as they only have two walls, one being the fireplace wall, the other a wall of windows.

I assume it is black and white. it includes a High Fi. No eight track yet.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    I have to mention the Kuba Komet TV highlighting German 1950's minimalist design, I guess. It does not remind me at all of Sweedish modern from the same time . But it is made of wood and over six feet tall.
    Bill D
    I think if you had a room full of Wharton Esherick furniture, it would be right at home.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I'm also with Glenn...consistent with my earlier reply, I love the craftsmanship that goes into the intricate Queen Anne, Federal and other styles, even though they are not "my thing" and wouldn't be appropriate for my own home and use.
    This is the logic as to why I like having painted trim in my house and want tile in the kitchen instead of hardwood. There's a limit on the amount of wood and the amount of design you can put in before I think it's too much. I'd rather that be furniture I've built instead of trim work. I've seen wood finished cabinets with hardwood floors and a nice kitchen table, and while they're all good on their own, put together it's a lot of stuff that doesn't always work well together.

Quote Originally Posted by James Jayko View Post

Yep....when we had our house built in 1998, we opted not to have a fireplace at all as the wall it went on was the best location for the TV. Since we live in Florida, a fireplace is just a form of decoration anyway.
    Chris