Thread: Cordless screwdriver recs?

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains

Cordless screwdriver recs?

I’m looking for a replacement for my DeWalt 920 7.2v screwdriver. My second set of Ni-Mh batteries have died so I’m looking for something newer/better to replace the 920 with. I’m not looking for Festool ($$) level but something with lithium ion batteries that’s reliable and strong.

Edit to add, I’m looking for something with a basic screwdriver shape, e.g., not pistol shaped.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 08-01-2023 at 5:34 PM.
    Please help support the Creek.

"The older I get, the better I used to be."
    Lee Trevino

I've personally been eyeing the Milwaukee 2101-22 M4 after playing with it at the local HD. I'm a huge fan of the 2505-20 M12 Installation Drill/Driver that I pretty much use 90% of the time on furniture building, etc. The attachments are incredibly handy. The only reason I haven't pulled the trigger is the fact that it would be an M4 battery instead of M12 and I need another battery format like I need another hole in the head. It would be mainly for the house/wife as I don't see me using it over the 2505-20 in the shop.

I like and have an older version of this:

https://www.metabo-hpt.com/us/main-n...ver-metabo-hpt

Handle is hinged - it can do your straight shape or the pistol shape like in the link.

I think I've had it for at least 8 years and the original batteries are good.

12v Makita, or Milwaukee

Milwaukee is my vote

Dewalt makes a pretty nifty 8V lithium ion screwdriver with a handle that pivots from a pistol shape into an inline screwdriver and works off a gyroscopic mechanism. After pressing the trigger, the driver rotates in the direction and intensity that corresponds to the orientation of the tool in space. Turn it left and it loosens. Turn it further and it spins faster. Mine has handled some pretty tight screws as well and feels quite robust. The product number is DCF680N2.

Blog Entries
    Bruce, My 14 volt drill batteries died and I decided to replace them with a Dewalt Combination set. It has an impact driver that works really well and the drill is great for driving wood screws in wood projects.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Thanks guys, I decided to cheap out and buy a couple generic replacement batteries. This isn’t a tool I use often but is nice to have when I need it.

Lee, I have the 18v DeWalt brushless drill motor that I have been happy with. It has a strong motor and the battery charge lasts a long time.
    Please help support the Creek.

"The older I get, the better I used to be."
    Lee Trevino

Wiha makes one. I have the kit and it works great.

https://www.wihatools.com/products/speede2

This may approach Festool-level pricing, though.

Derek

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    Thanks guys, I decided to cheap out and buy a couple generic replacement batteries. This isn’t a tool I use often but is nice to have when I need it.

Lee, I have the 18v DeWalt brushless drill motor that I have been happy with. It has a strong motor and the battery charge lasts a long time.
    Both of mine are brushless and the batteries do last a very long time.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute