Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Performax 16-32 sander

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Joynes View Post
    I just received a Laguna Tools 16-32 on Friday and set it up in my basement. For $595 you get the machine, stand, casters, and infeed and outfeed tables. (http://www.lagunatools.com/platinumsander2.htm) At that price I couldn't let it go. I am still waiting to receive finer grits of paper (it ships with 80 grit) but hope to be using it on projects later this week.

With new machines at this price, the price of used ones will have to come down accordingly.

Regards,

Paul
    Paul

There are a few differences between the Laguna, and the "original" Performax. Chiefly, the support bracket on the open side of the stand. Can it be removed to make the sander a 16/32 as the Performax was sold as?
    There is one misleading statement in Laguna's brochure that you linked to.
    The Brochure implies that the max sanding depth is 1/8" . I can almost guarantee you that if you were to try and sand off 1/8" in a single pass with the sander it will trip the reset on the motor. I believe this may be the minimum material thickness spec.
    You will find that once initial drum contact is established with the material, you will rotate the depth handle a max of 1/6th of a revolution.
    I'm interested to know how that additional support works out.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Joynes View Post
    I just received a Laguna Tools 16-32 on Friday and set it up in my basement. For $595 you get the machine, stand, casters, and infeed and outfeed tables. (http://www.lagunatools.com/platinumsander2.htm) At that price I couldn't let it go. I am still waiting to receive finer grits of paper (it ships with 80 grit) but hope to be using it on projects later this week.

With new machines at this price, the price of used ones will have to come down accordingly.

Regards,

Paul
    Yes! keep use up to date. Seems too good to be true $$$ for a Laguna brand tool.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler View Post
    Paul

Chiefly, the support bracket on the open side of the stand. Can it be removed to make the sander a 16/32 as the Performax was sold as?
    I would take a guess and say it can be removed. The Steel City sander has that same bracket. Both are advertised as 16/32.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Jim Podsedly View Post
    Would a finish sanding be required after the drum sander is done?

I do a lot of ROS sanding and sure would be nice to just run the tops through a Performax and call it good.

Thanks,
    Jim
    I often skip the ROS, but I primarily use oak, so it doesn't show (either that or my eyesight is getting worse).

I'll typically do 80, 120 grit and that's ok for me. If I'm in a picky mood, I'll do a pass with 150.

I know other hobbyists feel that that's not a nice enough grit for finish sanding, but I'm satisfied.

I'd try running a scrap through and finishing it, and seeing if you're satisfied.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Crable View Post
    The WMH people did have the manual for the 629002 model. If anyone needs a copy, I can send it. The older model apparently stopped production in about 1995.

If anyone else has ideas on my other questions / issues above, please let me know.

Thanks,
    --Phil
    Could you send me a copy of this manual? Tried to PM you, but that option was turned off in this old thread. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Derek McAleer View Post
    Could you send me a copy of this manual? Tried to PM you, but that option was turned off in this old thread. Thanks!

Take a look at his profile page - last activity here was in December. 2007. I don't think you are going to hear back from him, seventeen years later.
    -- Jim

Use the right tool for the job.

Derek Send me a PM with your email address and I will send you a copy of the manual.

Quote Originally Posted by Robyn Horton View Post
    Derek Send me a PM with your email address and I will send you a copy of the manual.
    Hey Robyn--i just sent him a copy of the one you sent me 3 years ago (he'd posted in that thread as well). Still appreciate you doing that for me!!
    earl

Glad it worked out for you Earl

It’s a great tool to have but you have to understand its limitations. First, it’s not a planer. The amount you can remove on a single pass is tiny in comparison. I tend to remove .005 per pass which the smallest the digital gauge will measure. Beyond that it’s possible the piece will get stuck on occasion. So it’s a flattening tool after getting close to desired thickness or creating a flat glue joint. If you have a lot to take off it will take forever and there is always least some risk that the piece won’t be perfectly even across wide boards. Just using it for final flattening any differences won’t be noticeable. I love it. I just know its limitations.