Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Decking that sheds water

I don't know of any of these that are designed to last, but they're not much trouble to put in.

https://sandbaggy.com/products/9-inc...UaAiztEALw_wcB

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    Some of the metal form panels for pouring concrete onto (I forget what they are called) would be self supporting over that length. It you put a ledger against the foundation for them to sit on, they would shed water to the outside.

https://blog.metaldeck.com/metal-deck-for-concrete

Pan decking?

Where the OP lives is well south of the snow belt along the great lakes. Where I live 7 miles south of Lake Erie we can get several feet from a single snow fall.

Just heard today that the deep snow in the Sierras has only melted and run off 2% of the water content so far. Ski resort 75 miles from us got 61.5' so far this season. They plan to stay open until May 7 this year.
    Bill D

Blog Entries
    This is not what Bradley needs but shows a good design and the way dirt accumulates. The builder did not use flashing at the house or drip edge at the gutter. Because the slope is low I made the new drip edge 12 inches wide and made sure it overlapped the gutter.

Google Photos shared video link
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/6xrEufD8fdR4cLvE9

"Deck" could be the type that Trex could be used.

The plywood/canvas method is well over 150 years old and was found on our home when I renovated it. It was an outside porch, slightly pitched, about an 1/8 to 1/4" over a foot to holes to allow the porch to drain. The canvas was tacked to the substrate, and then hot tar applied over that, which would be better than paint. Oh, and I should add that the canvas and tar wrapped up the walls about 3-4 inches.
    Last edited by Thomas McCurnin; 04-22-2023 at 6:55 PM.
    Regards,

Tom

Thomas , Interesting info . The tar would not be better than paint as black tar is hot …that’s why T-shirts are white. 1890 ish is when
    the painted canvas caught on. But it’s certainly possible that with ever leaking boats and ships, all kinds of things were used to keep
    afloat. No one’s Mom is ever going to allow anyone to walk across hot tar to get into the house without taking off their shoes ….and
    “first thing tomorrow, cleaning up the mess”.