Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: More heat pump trouble

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    The rebates or incentives may be different from state to state.

jtk
    If you don't know you need to find out, I saved hundreds of dollars. It was even a Federal tax credit for a while.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

I checked yesterday, and rebates here are just on buying appliances. Nothing about heat pumps.

Thanks. I'll look at it. I did glance through the links, but looks like Federal rebates would be tax credits and based on income relative to median in the area. I'll look some more, but also it's really commercial property owned by an LLC legally. Looks complicated for this application, and looks like it wouldn't be much at best.

Dominion Power here, and high end waterfront rental property in probably the poorest surrounding area in the state. Other than the lake, there's not much in the surrounding area, including industry, or population. Probably half of the county is on Social Services income. Property tax at the lake pays for everything else.

There is a group of 10 adults in there over Christmas, and we haven't heard a thing out of them, so this temporary fix must be holding.
    Last edited by Tom M King; 12-25-2022 at 1:49 PM.

Never heard of Rebates tied to income. They are based on energy savings and generally speaking you have to put in a matched pair to get the max savings. A lot of DIY installs don't quality as they are not certified to be installers and you need to have the CFC certification in most cases.

Thanks for all the effort, Bill. All diminishing returns for this particular situation though. Merry Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    Never heard of Rebates tied to income.
    Utility rebates are not, AFAIK, but Tom specified Federal Tax Credit in post 19 which I presume you were replying to and tax credits often have certain requirements for income or other factors.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Some of the rebates don't apply if you are replacing an existing heat pump with a newer model. We managed to miss the very first tax credit for heat pumps by just a few weeks. When we replaced that unit25 years later, ther4e was no tax credit. After that unit died and we installed our current unit, the tax credit was very small.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I just asked for a $300 rebate from our power company for the shop mini split, but I'm not sure if I'll get it or not because of the brand/model and self install. Time will tell...
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I just asked for a $300 rebate from our power company for the shop mini split, but I'm not sure if I'll get it or not because of the brand/model and self install. Time will tell...
    Did you get it all installed and how does it work? They need to see it running and check out the equipment nameplates?

I wonder how to claim for my solar install with the IRS?
    Last edited by Bill George; 12-26-2022 at 9:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    Did you get it all installed and how does it work? They need to see it running and check out the equipment nameplates.
    Bill, as I noted, the MrCool is a DIY install. It works fine. The don't need to "see it running" and our local utility doesn't have the resources to send people out on those kinds of field trips. They do need the model numbers and there are provisions for that on the form.
    --

Like Tom, I haven't thoroughly investigated either but the one program going into effect this coming year (I think the inflation reduction act) does limit your reward according to how your income compares to the surrounding community. It effectively eliminates Tom and me. The Duke Energy rebate deal requires you to use one of the approved commercial installers on their list. Cuts us out again. The state of NC says there are no state rebates. But I will be talking with my accountant in January as usual and will ask what might be available.

This just popped up on a search for something else on Amazon. Looks to have better conductivity than the cheap piggyback connectors.

https://www.amazon.com/Ancor-230613-...ustomerReviews

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    This just popped up on a search for something else on Amazon. Looks to have better conductivity than the cheap piggyback connectors.

https://www.amazon.com/Ancor-230613-...ustomerReviews
    When I was working in the field running service and found one of those burnt up, I just ran a heavy wire from the contactor or relay connected using a ring terminal and then wire nutted or crimped the other wires to it. We never used the cheap connectors it was always a heavy duty ones like T&B, those better grade ones I now get from local Home Depot or here https://www.supplyhouse.com/Terminals-Crimps-19707000 They used push on connectors because they are faster to install at the factory, not because they are better.

Speaking of rebates, I guess I was lucky enough to live in a forward-thinking state that rewarded energy savings and having Mid-American as our power company. They are owned by Warren Buffet and 37% of our power is either from wind or solar.
    Last edited by Bill George; 12-26-2022 at 12:13 PM.