Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plywood or MDF For Cabinet?

Plywood or MDF For Cabinet?

I'm building a cabinet base to go under a bandsaw that weighs about 200 lbs. Which will support the saw better...3/4" MDF or plywood? I kinda like the weight and the finish of the MDF, but if it's not a good choice, I'll use the plywood.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Arita View Post
    I'm building a cabinet base to go under a bandsaw that weighs about 200 lbs. Which will support the saw better...3/4" MDF or plywood? I kinda like the weight and the finish of the MDF, but if it's not a good choice, I'll use the plywood.
    If it’s gonna be on wheels I think it’s fine. Use strong corner blocks.

Blog Entries
    I wouldn't use MDF for anything that needs to hold substantial weight over time. Plywood is less likely to deform over time due to weight.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I’m sure Lee’ s caution is good . Cross pieces on bottom could be mdf doubled up with glued blocks at ends with wood blocks on both sides at
    the ends . I would keep either material painted .

plywood for sure

I do not like MDF because its dust is ultra nasty, it falls apart with slight exposure to moisture, it sags just from it's own weight over time and probably some other things I'm not remembering at the moment. In my mind, particle board is only slightly better and plywood is a significant step above either. MDF does take paint better but I can't really think of another advantage. It is also nasty heavy - and just plain weak. Can you tell I do not like it? I would definitely never use it for anything structural. It is guaranteed to sag from weight unless you way overbuild the base. Plywood is just much better suited to an application where strength and not appearance is the goal. Plywood can look nice and take paint well but I would not normally use that good a grade of plywood for a tool base.

Blog Entries
    For a 200 pounder I would be thinking of steel. I have a bench top band saw, bench top jointer and lathe that sit on plywood boxes with the motor inside. They are supposed to be portable. The lathe base is not up to the task at all. I never considered using MDF. Plywood is more durable. For 200 pounds of bandsaw I would use several layers of plywood (if steel was not an option).

IMG_1023.jpg IMG_1022.jpg IMG_0577.jpg
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 12-12-2022 at 9:21 AM. Reason: Images, plywood machine bases for small tools

I built a wheeled bench / cabinet a while back to support a large belt / disc sander with a maple frame clad with MDF. The sander weighs maybe 125 pounds or so. I suspect the MDF skin isn't supporting much weight but the frame has handled it just fine. The bench top, by the way, was two layers of MDF with one layer of plywood on top. Also for what it's worth, I ran horizontal maple boards in the frame to support drawer sliders so they weren't hanging only on MDF.

I try to use MDF for jigs and fixtures only.
    Plywood for anything else.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

I'm sure either will work. MDF will require a lot more attention so structure at stress points and places where fasteners attach. As other's point out the dust is noxious. It does paint well, but a win-win solution for both structure and paintability is MDO. I do use MDF for router templates and such because it's cheap (and I always then regret it because of the dust). For templates that get more than one-time use I now like plexiglas, as it is currently abundant and cheap as the covid barriers com down all over the place.

MDF has very little structural ability compared to plywood. The compression rating of MDF for side, back and front panels should hold 200 pounds using 3/4" mdf, assuming your corner joints are done properly. All the force is vertical and the corner joints should improve the structural ability. The top, where the machine sits could be MDF as long as the span of the MDF isn't very wide/deep. But as long as you are building it, just use plywood construction for piece of mind. Around here at say home depot, a 4x8 sheet of 3/4 MDF is about $60, and sanded 3/4 ply is 70ish. Birch is maybe 80-85. The cost difference isn't enough compared to the labor and long term use of the cabinet.
    Distraction could lead to dismemberment!

I'll probably use plywood. That said, I like the smooth, no-gaps look of MDF, especially on rounded edges. It looks much like sheet metal.

Blog Entries
    I have seen some real nice plywood with a facing of thin Phenolic. I recommend going heavy with your build. A band saw is benefited by a sturdy base with plenty of mass.

For "this particular project", I'd use plywood for sure for better resiliency, but I'm not adverse to using MDF for some kinds of built-in cabinets, especially when they are not going to get beat up...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Definitely plywood.. It's stronger and does not have nasty dusty.
    I will say I am biased though. I hate MDF.
    Yes, you can make MDF work, but at least in my area, MDF is not that much cheaper, so I fail to see the advantage.
    MDF's extra weight is a disadvantage. Makes it harder to move around and the extra weight does not give extra strength.
    A sheet of MDF will sag under it's own weight.