Thread: jointer opinion

jointer opinion

Im thinking of buying a small jointer. I see this one on marketplace which is close by (E Tennessee). The guy is asking $500 for it. It apparently needs some tlc. Ridgid JP06000. Fair price? p06000 jointer.jpg

Ernie, do you know the model #? How long and wide at the infeed outfeed tables? What HP motor is on it, is it 220V or 120V.
    Brian

model JP06000...looks like the bed is 45 3/4", 3/4 hp 120v

6 inch jointer

I would pass. Personally

My first jointer was the newer version of that model. It had an orange base. I bought it for $250, but that would have been 2014, i bet. I found it to be a fine starter machine.

You can research it, but that gray base makes it about 20 years old. Depending on how much it was used, it might be plug and play, but more than likely you are on the end of the motor and cutterhead bearings' lifespans. Not the end of the world, but it is a little bit of an ordeal to pull the cutterhead and replace the bearings. Also, those tables have a fair amount of oxidation on them from being in an unconditioned space. Personally, i would walk from that machine if it was a cent over $300.

thanks for the info, I think i will pass unless I can get it for much cheaper

Keep looking, a better will come eventually
    Epilog Mini 24-45W, Corel Draw X6, Photoshop CS5, Multi Cam CNC

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie Loposser View Post
    model JP06000...looks like the bed is 45 3/4", 3/4 hp 120v
    I think it needs a lot of work and is expensive for a used entry level machine. Brian

Hard pass. You can order a new one for $800, free delivery, and that's up in the last year from around $500. Seem if you can get the guy to drop the price to the $300-400 range.

Pass, too rough for you. Because you are asking this question, I don't think you are ready for that rough of a machine. $350-$300 may be way too much. Have to put a hard eyeball on that one.
    Keep looking around or buy new. Don't pay high dollar AND put lots of work and money in one.
    If you are coming to Ohio anytime, have a 6" Jet I bought new in 1988 still have original knives for it along with at least 2-4 more sets that could go home with you for that $500. Never used hard, sometimes not used for years at a time. Always inside.
    Need to get around and list it and clean the garage out. Maybe after Christmas, when Doc okays me walking again.