Page 24 of 61 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast

Thread: Shop Build...should be a fun journey...

That's great news Jim. Your foam contractor seems to have it together better than mine.

Are they spraying foam into the soffits and under the ridge vents, or are they putting up something else first?
    Mark McFarlane

Quote Originally Posted by mark mcfarlane View Post
    That's great news Jim. Your foam contractor seems to have it together better than mine.

Are they spraying foam into the soffits and under the ridge vents, or are they putting up something else first?
    Both the soffits and the ridge will be baffled off...no foam goes into those spaces. The former is similar to what would be done to keep blown in fiberglass or cellulose insulation in a ceiling from migrating into the soffits but the ceiling edge is "sealed" to the underside of the roof. Once the foam is sprayed, there is a continuous envelope from the bottom of the walls all the way up and across the ceiling with zero gaps. This building will get 2" nominal of foam in the walls and 3" nominal foam under the roof. While that would be on the low end for a residence/house, it's perfectly fine for a Residential Accessory Building (what my structure is called in our jurisdiction) and avoids the diminishing returns for very expensive material from going thicker. With closed cell spray foam, the "seal" is so good that an R15 in the wall and R21-ish under the roof, given the unbroken envelope, that it's more efficient to fiberglass, celulose, rockwool, etc., with more leaks, as it were. This building will be substantially better insulated than my old shop for sure and the planned minisplit will not have to work too hard to hold the conservative temps I generally setup.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Spray foam is moving up to...tomorrow. The insulator has a contractor who isn't going to be ready and is even fine with me not having a check ready for him tomorrow. (money transfer not yet completed so I can write a check).
    --

Yipee, its getting closer !!
    Mark McFarlane

I'm going to have to slow down a little on some things due to the current market and Professor Dr. SWMBO now effectively working part time for her last academic year before retirement (with smaller workload), but in some respects that might make the end result better. Rushing doesn't serve any good purpose. I just ordered the LED lighting fixtures as I can put them up after the insulators are gone. That will make things more pleasant while doing next steps on the interior and I can still power them from the temporary line I have from the porch specifically for lighting (and camera).

Still no install date for the overhead door...it was supposed to be manufactured on Thursday, but the door company didn't get confirmation back to the builder's PM yet. That's not a hindrance to things I can start working on once the insulation is completed, however.
    --

Floor video is now up...enjoy!

--

Blog Entries
    Sure wish slab would have come before wood.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    Sure wish slab would have come before wood.
    Not sure what you mean....but pouring first is not a common way for a post frame building to be constructed. The floor is floating and does not support the building. As I noted earlier (either in this thread or another) some Barndos get a monolithic slab with a stem wall, but that's a huge expense for the average post frame building. In fact, this very thing is what eventually eliminated my consideration of a metal frame building...the structure was slightly less in cost than the wood post frame, but the concrete work was not quite triple because of the requirement for a monolithic slab with a minimum 12" thicknessing, 12" wide at the edges.
    --

Spray foam is complete. Started about 08:00 with prep and finished up and packed up by 12:30. They can really cruise with a wide open structure! Video coming, but here's what it looks like now.

IMG_2629.jpg

My next step will likely be to get another coat or two of the sealer on the floor before I put in the internal girts and run some "basic" wiring required for the inspections. (one power circuit required and I'm adding the lighting to the mix, too, so I can get rid of the temporary overhead setup from the house for the work lights) I still need scheduling from the electrician for the trenching/conduit/service, but I doubt it will be in the next few days because of the inches of rain we have received and will still be getting through at least part of Wednesday. Still also waiting on a date for the overhead door and whether or not it was actually manufactured last Thursday.

But at least I can start to do some work inside now that the foam is in place.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 10-03-2022 at 2:39 PM.
    --

Blog Entries
    Looks awesome Jim. Every phase puts a little more spring in your step ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Nice. Now you just need some electrical, a door and stuff it full of tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Spray foam is complete. Video coming, but here's what it looks like now.

IMG_2629.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Parrish View Post
    Nice. Now you just need some electrical, a door and stuff it full of tools.
    I'm likely two or three months out at least from actually being able to use it as a shop...see post 350.
    --

Amazing, prepped pad a few weeks ago and foamed today, Looks great!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Spray foam is complete. Started about 08:00 with prep and finished up and packed up by 12:30. They can really cruise with a wide open structure! Video coming, but here's what it looks like now.

IMG_2629.jpg

My next step will likely be to get another coat or two of the sealer on the floor before I put in the internal girts and run some "basic" wiring required for the inspections. (one power circuit required and I'm adding the lighting to the mix, too, so I can get rid of the temporary overhead setup from the house for the work lights) I still need scheduling from the electrician for the trenching/conduit/service, but I doubt it will be in the next few days because of the inches of rain we have received and will still be getting through at least part of Wednesday. Still also waiting on a date for the overhead door and whether or not it was actually manufactured last Thursday.

But at least I can start to do some work inside now that the foam is in place.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Stiefel View Post
    Amazing, prepped pad a few weeks ago and foamed today, Looks great!
    The site prep for the building was months ago, but the concrete pour was last week. The building went up on 12 September.

--------

The promised spray foam video is now available

--

It's looking great. That's great speed on the foam installation. I'm going to be waiting another 3-4 weeks to have the foam sprayed in the new addition. I hope they'll get your door done soon.