Thread: Display Cabinet

Blog Entries

Display Cabinet

A fun hand tool project with exposed joinery, string inlay and cockbeading on drawers I thought my fellow Creekers might enjoy. This was an effort to use up some smaller pieces of lumber in the shop. What would you call this piece of furniture?

thanks for looking, Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Allen1010 View Post
    ... What would you call this piece of furniture? ...
    Nice. Very nice.

Question Mike. What's the rough overall size?
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Blog Entries
    Nice cabinet.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Anderson NH View Post
    Question Mike. What's the rough overall size?
    Hi Dave, it's roughly 32 inches wide by 14 inches deep by 16 inches tall. One of the insight that I took away from this project was about the carcass back. Typically I tend to use quarter-inch thick plywood, but for this project use solid, ship lap, vertical grain Doug fir. I think it provides a nice background for the cabinet. What do you think?

Best, Mike

That came out well Mike. Thanks for posting!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries
    Thanks Guys- made this a smaller size with idea it might be fit in smaller spaces, hallway, bathroom, office etc. Not sure how that will work out. Our Boys just got a house together, but they don’t have space for it. I

’ve made several white oak and walnut pieces recently and I think I like the white oak and darker tropical wood like cocobollo better. Too bad those tropical species aren’t hand tool friendly! I don’t know how guys like Derek manage. I guess machine stock preparation would seem pretty attractive to an old , fat guy like me.

Cheers, Mike