Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FedEX Doesn't Have a Clue

FedEX Doesn't Have a Clue

I ordered some front end parts for my 94 Ford Areostar. They shipped from multiple sites. Early this AM, tracking showed one package at FedEx's local distribution center. This afternoon tracking shows package is still in California. Second package left Norcross, GA on Monday, but as of today, it shows as being in Norcross, GA. Third package shows as having left Norcross yesterday. Norcross is a six hour drive from here, so package should have been here today. FedEx doesn't have a clue as to what's going on. Their tracking is as the old expression says "useless as tits on a boar hog!" They are there, but serve no purpose.

I've got a general distaste for Fedex as well. Inaccurate tracking and drivers that can't read. We have it in our profile to leave packages inside the garage. The weekday driver(s) do this well. The weekend drivers....GRRRRR!!!!!! What's worse is a couple weeks ago they left it by the patio door. 3 feet above it in big bold black on white letters was a sign that said please put all packages inside garage door. Directions are so difficult to follow these days.

Living in a remote area of Central California I learned the hard way that FedEx Ground is not the same company as FedEx which outsources all Ground deliveries to small local operators. FedEx Ground loses 1 in 20 packages in my area.

It's all about the driver. At my old job (computer and game store) we had a phenomenal FedEx driver. He was always friendly and honest about all deliveries. He would take note of packages for our employees that were to be delivered to our homes (differnent routes and drivers) and re-route them to his truck so he could bring them to us at work. If the store had a need, like a major game title releasing (back in the day) he would change his route so we were the first delivery of the day. Plus, he was one of the nicest guys you would ever meet. He's been delivering for nearly 30 years now and is still going strong.

Derek

I think there's some truth to the driver factor. Not that this explains away your frustrating situation, but it seems like the lack of labor and qualified manpower is showing up in all kinds of areas like this.
    I have experienced a different problem with FedEx, which is that the item will basically show as shipped with no updates whatsoever until it is delivered. So the tracking is useless. But this was not the case before.

Many years ago, I grew the mums for State Fair. Cuttings (5 boxes) would ship on Monday (FedEx) from Greenwood SC (a 5 1/2 hour drive away.) First box would arrive on Tuesday, and remaining boxes usually made it by Friday the same week. They were all shipped and picked up at the same time and location. Drivers would leave them in middle of driveway in direct sunlight, despite warnings on the boxes to not do so. Another ten feet, and they could have set them on a covered back porch out of sunlight.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Santos View Post
    I think there's some truth to the driver factor. Not that this explains away your frustrating situation, but it seems like the lack of labor and qualified manpower is showing up in all kinds of areas like this.
    I have experienced a different problem with FedEx, which is that the item will basically show as shipped with no updates whatsoever until it is delivered. So the tracking is useless. But this was not the case before.
    Maybe the time issue for workers has been pushed to such an extreme they no longer take the time to scan packages.

FedEx seems to have become ruthless to their workers to the point where it affects their service.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

This isn't a driver issue, it's a tracking, or lack of transport issue. Two days later, packages are shown at point of origination, even though one was shown to be at local distribution center early this AM. Gimme me a break FedEx. Either they are here, or they aren't. Maybe tomorrow, or the next day, or following day. Who knows, as it's FedEx.

Update. Two packages from Norcross GA, arrived on Thursday. Though shown as two separate packages, each with it's own tracking number, they both arrived in a single USPS Priority bag. Definitely didn't come FedEx, even though shipping showed such. Still no word on package from California. Sent a message to seller asking them to reship as FedEx doesn't have a clue as to where original is. Ordered some 6203 2RS ball bearings yesterday. Shipper is in Michigan. Today bearings are in USPS hub in Greensboro NC, about an hour away. Ordered some A arm bushings from Rock Auto yesterday. Bushings were shipped from Bronx NY. As of this evening, FedEx hadn't picked them up from Rock, yet they are scheduled for delivery tomorrow AM. Don't think it's going to happen.

Fed Ex contracts with the USPS for delivery services in some areas and instances.
    Regards,

Tom

Blog Entries
    In my field service days it was convenient to have parts shipped overnight to a FedEx office and pick them up before going to the customer.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas McCurnin View Post
    Fed Ex contracts with the USPS for delivery services in some areas and instances.
    That's a "super saver" type arrangement where USPS does the "last mile" with FedEX dropping multiple packages in one stop at the local post office that does delivery. UPS offers the same thing to businesses that are shipping, especially for smaller packages. If there happens to be a regular UPS package scheduled for delivery that day, a package normally shunted to the USPS locally sometimes gets put on the brown truck since they have to make the stop anyway.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    If there happens to be a regular UPS package scheduled for delivery that day, a package normally shunted to the USPS locally sometimes gets put on the brown truck since they have to make the stop anyway.
    That tells me the UPS tracking system is way better than FedEx and maybe even the USPS systems.

jtk

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    That tells me the UPS tracking system is way better than FedEx and maybe even the USPS systems.

jtk
    UPS has a tracking system which is in first place. USPS is in second place, and FedEx didn't qualify.

We have a good friend who has worked for Fed Ex for 15 years and is still working for them. We saw him briefly last weekend and he said there have been some changes. Fed Ex has all the drivers running ragged with their new system. Drivers are not working their normal routes. Instead of having an efficient route where they pick up/deliver in the order of the buildings - 1, 2, 3, 4 .... they have to follow the new mapped out route which forces they to drive past buildings 1, 2, 3, 4 and go to building 15. Then the route takes them to building 4, then over to building 23 and then back to buildings 1, 2, etc. He has no notes when going into all these new business locations that require codes to enter the gate or building. He is also crossing paths with other Fed Ex drivers as they have packages for another person in that same building. It has been nightmare for the drivers and our buddy said he has been finishing his shift at 9pm. We didn't get to talk long, so I'm not sure how long this new system has been implemented, but I know it was for all the drivers nationwide. I don't think it impacts the "Fed Ex" drivers who buy their routes and are not actual fed ex employees.
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."