Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Planes I may buy

Thanks for everyone’s replies. I have learned a lot but unfortunately there was a line waiting to get into the sale before it opened and I was unable to be there because I had to work. I showed up just two hours later and every single good quality hand tool had vanished. The Lie Nielsen number seven went for only $200 .I don’t know about the other stuff. I scored some router bits in decent shape for about 70% off new prices so feel good about that. A much more experienced plane buyer than myself was there and told me that it can be a real push and shove, almost dangerous affair when the sales open. That is upsetting because I don’t want any part of it. Have any of you experienced this type of behavior?
    I think I would rather peacefully bid on something. And then at the same sale someone bought a mini Max MM 16 bandsaw with a bit of rust and a blade not tracking properly for $3000. The saw was over at 10 years old. I purchased the same saw about 15 years ago for a little over $2000.

Blog Entries
    Gregg, my experience has taught me that you have to get to a good sale early.

If someone starts pushing and shoving I do not have any qualms if their feet accidentally get tangled causing them to trip.

Sometimes a loud "excuse me, could you keep your hands off of me!" might get them asked to behave or leave.

Professional estate sale organizers usually keep things like that under control. It is the amateurs and such that can end up turning into mayhem.

My brother on the other hand often waits to the last day and last hour. He is looking for stuff they want to get rid of cheap. He buys to resell. He often goes to the same sale at the beginning for the quality items and then returns at the end if he feels it might be leftovers.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)