Thread: OF: Fastening a Table Top

OF: Fastening a Table Top

I am in the process of building a router table. My top is two pieces of MDF. This is the first time I have used MDF. I know that screws do not hold well in MDF. What is the best way to fasten the top to the table? Thanks for your help!

Buddy, I think I'd drill 1/2" holes in the MDF and glue 1/2" dowels into the holes and then use the those offset metal tabs to attach the top.
    Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy Forshee
    I am in the process of building a router table. My top is two pieces of MDF. This is the first time I have used MDF. I know that screws do not hold well in MDF. What is the best way to fasten the top to the table? Thanks for your help!
    Screws will hold just fine in MDF if you use the right screws and understand the stresses you need to accomodate. The one place where things get more challenging is when you need to screw into the edge of MDF...predrilling is not optional and using a cross dowel is a good ideal if extra strength is necessary. Tapered traditional wood screws are not recommended. Use machine screws or Conformat screws designed for manufactured sheet goods. The Conformats are best for the edge situation.

For mounting your top to your cabinet, you should have no problems. My router table top, made of two layers of MDF and covered with laminate is screwed to the unit the same way as any table top. I've actually lifted the whole thing by the edges of the top over an obstruction when moving it with no problems...only six screws are involved.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...