Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Solid wood flooring

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Quenneville View Post
    As you have by now discovered, concrete floor waterproofing primer isn’t cheap. I think 10 litres of Mapei primer is around $170 US here in Australia. We are using both Mapei and Soudal brand adhesives for our flooring. Good luck with your project Albert. I don’t envy you the work involved. I have to make about 150’ of oak stair nosing and 50’ of handrail and find even that puny project tiring to contemplate.
    Thanks Greg, I started ripping the Tulip oak yesterday... realised I need new blade straight away as smoke were coming out...

I have made some weather board recently for a builder using my moulder and thought the floor board will be similar... will wait and see.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    Why is that backwards?

I'm always glad when I find a "trap door" that allows access to the plumbing so I don't have to tear apart a ceramic tile wall just to get at the mixing valve.

I just wish the idiot that built our house had done that.
    Again. Dont wish for the idiot to have supplied you resoutions to the shortcomings of materials, construction practices,.. instead avoid the idiot and build in sound practice that avoids chiseling uo glued down hardwood due to a water leak. Accitents happen. Natural disasters happen. Its not the reaponsibility of glued doen hardwood to be "easily replacable" in such situations. If its installed in a sound and responsible manner it ahould never have to come out. My last house was 50 years old, thoughtfully constructed for the time, and zero issue. Our current disposable society should have no bearing.

well the flooring timber is almost done, I clocked myself;

1 hour cross cutting to cut it from 4m into 2m pieces,
    4 hours ripping (not easy to rip a piece of 190 x 45 into 6 pieces of 92 x 13, bandsaw blade is 1mm thick. 45-13x3-2 = 4mm, I only have 4 mm of allowance for error shared between 3 pieces.
    2 hours thicknessing/planing
    3 hours to carry out the tongue and groove profile (profile already saved as one of the program so no need to muck around)
    1 hour of handling and sorting

I began with 16 pieces of 190mm x 45mm. I endup with 188 pieces of usable 92mm x 13mm. 4 pieces waste (ripped too deep)

now I am thinking if I should hire a professional installer or install it myself.

the concrete RH is 8% in the middle of the room and 9% around the wall, its wet season now.

Did you do the moisture test with the plastic to see if any real moisture comes to the surface?
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Lee View Post
    well the flooring timber is almost done, I clocked myself;

1 hour cross cutting to cut it from 4m into 2m pieces,
    4 hours ripping (not easy to rip a piece of 190 x 45 into 6 pieces of 92 x 13, bandsaw blade is 1mm thick. 45-13x3-2 = 4mm, I only have 4 mm of allowance for error shared between 3 pieces.
    2 hours thicknessing/planing
    3 hours to carry out the tongue and groove profile (profile already saved as one of the program so no need to muck around)
    1 hour of handling and sorting

I began with 16 pieces of 190mm x 45mm. I endup with 188 pieces of usable 92mm x 13mm. 4 pieces waste (ripped too deep)

now I am thinking if I should hire a professional installer or install it myself.

the concrete RH is 8% in the middle of the room and 9% around the wall, its wet season now.

Sounds like youve got it licked Albert. Good for you. Im sure you'll crush it regardless of hiring out the install or not. My guess is youve come this far, you'll smack it down yourself. Thanks for the update.