Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Hammer K3 Winner 48x48 thoughts?

Like Jim, I never found it weird to rip on a slider. There were always Board Buddies or Grippers in the shop and any super-narrow strips could be done on the bandsaw. The F&F jig sprung up while I was on hiatus from the biz but if it had been around earlier, I would have been all about it. "Yes" a little less convenient on a long-stroke machine but having used sliders for so many years now, I wonder why anyone would voluntarily choose to stand behind the blade. To me, it's walking behind a horse that doesn't know you're there.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

This discussion always surprises me, because i cant see two sides here. Everyone take a look at Warren's photos and ask yourself, "does this look comfortable or natural?". Now, imagine instead of a 12"x12" square of melamine, it's a 8' piece of 8/4 hardwood.

Not sure what you mean Patrick. Anyway more important my last email was removed cause I stated the facts.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Kane View Post
    ...Now, imagine instead of a 12"x12" square of melamine, it's a 8' piece of 8/4 hardwood.
    You're right, Patrick: A slider "will" do that but if there was lots of that type of work, a regular cabinet saw or bandsaw (home shop) or SLR would be a better choice. But I think most folks here are looking at it from a hobbyist's perspective, so there is always some compromise. Like garage shops that have a short-stroke slider but still do full-sized sheets once in a while. Sure, it would be great to have a panel-length slider, but? Some of my pro guys merge their sliders to standard cabinet saws, like so:

Erik
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Jim, when you get a slider for your new shop, are you going 79 or longer?

Practically speaking, I’m going to spend the next couple years finishing a G&G bedroom, then a G&G dining room, and finally a study. Throw in my typical Maloof rocker for a present and that’s my next several serious projects. 79 would probably work, just don’t have a great feel for what working on it would be like.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Mac View Post
    Jim, when you get a slider for your new shop, are you going 79 or longer?
    Right now the plan would be for a short stroke about that size (SC-3C). I don't tend to rip really long stuff as I break boards down before milling them flat prior to ripping. It's unlikely I'd be ripping sheet goods on the saw, either...I mostly cut that on my CNC and if I have a need to do an 8 footer, I have long track for my tracksaw. So if I can cover 90+% of what I do with the shorter stroke machine, that's how I'll go for both space and cost reasons. My previous saw did have an 8'6" wagon. I just don't think I can justify the extra expense for a very small percentage of the work. Time till tell.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I'm going to get the 79x48. Just waiting to hear from the salesperson.

Before I do, anything else I should be thinking about as far as accessories, space in the shop, etc? Something everyone who has a slider knows about but someone new to the slider might not be considering?

How good is Hammer's mobility kit for the saw?

I'm going to get the 79x48. Just waiting to hear from the salesperson.

Before I do, anything else I should be thinking about as far as accessories, space in the shop, etc? Something everyone who has a slider knows about but someone new to the slider might not be considering?

How good is Hammer's mobility kit for the saw?
    I'm going to assume that model comes with the outrigger (mine did), which is a good accessory if you ever plan on crosscutting wide pieces (especially plywood). The small triangular-shaped extension table is also a good accessory; I leave that one mounted permanently right where the smaller miter gauge goes. Another nice to have is one of the extensions that is typically used on the A3 units; I have one of these mounted on the back of the saw right next to the sliding table, as it provides a little bit of outfeed support for offcuts.

I have the mobility kit on my saw, but really only used it to place the saw in my shop. Depending on how much you will need to move your saw and in which directions, their mobility kit may or may not work well for you.

Congrats on the purchase / choice, and hopefully it doesn't take you too long to get it.
    And there was trouble, taking place...

Congrats on your new saw Jacob!
    I have a question. These machines are completely foreign to me so I was wondering if a power feeder could be added to one of the longer stroke machines to help with the longer rip issue. I have no experience so I’m not sure if that would be possible or helpful. If it were a saw/shaper combo could the feeder be used to serve both functions?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Fish View Post
    Congrats on your new saw Jacob!
    I have a question. These machines are completely foreign to me so I was wondering if a power feeder could be added to one of the longer stroke machines to help with the longer rip issue. I have no experience so I’m not sure if that would be possible or helpful. If it were a saw/shaper combo could the feeder be used to serve both functions?
    A feeder can indeed be added to the rear of a K3. I don't have a feeder myself, but I'm pretty sure other K3 owners on here have shown pics of their feeder setups.

I've seen feeders attached, but I know less about the saw than you probably do. The saw won't be here until March, so I'm going to try and learn all I can in the interim.

First thing will be figuring out a mobile base. The Hammer one looks kind of clunky and not useful for small spaces.

I've seen feeders attached, but I know less about the saw than you probably do. The saw won't be here until March, so I'm going to try and learn all I can in the interim.

First thing will be figuring out a mobile base. The Hammer one looks kind of clunky and not useful for small spaces.

Jacob,

Here is input from somebody who just received a Hammer B3 last Thursday (ordered in late January). As somebody else said, this is free advice and worth every penny!

I have ordered the mobility kit for both machines (I also received an A3-31) and have already moved both machines multiple times (still re-arranging the shop). I can attest that the system works well.

As for the feeder question, I have ordered the mounting bracket and installed a Comatic DC-40 on the machine. I even tried moving the machine with the feeder mounted on it; no problem. Obviously, one has to account for the volume taken by the stand and feeder setup - things get a bit busy at that end .

I am looking forward to spend some time with the machines and learn. Hours of fun in perspective.

Regards,

Jacques

I'd recommend a narrow pallet jack, rather than the mobility kit, guessing the price might be a wash, especially if you find one used. It works well on my B3 (and can also move pallets!).

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stelts View Post
    I'd recommend a narrow pallet jack, rather than the mobility kit, guessing the price might be a wash, especially if you find one used. It works well on my B3 (and can also move pallets!).
    I have the same opinion, but looking at his machine, i dont think it accommodates a pallet jack. I have a narrow pallet jack for my KF700 and it works wonderfully. It also lets me move any other machine in my shop(everything is on 3.5" cribbing).

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Kane View Post
    I have the same opinion, but looking at his machine, i dont think it accommodates a pallet jack. I have a narrow pallet jack for my KF700 and it works wonderfully. It also lets me move any other machine in my shop(everything is on 3.5" cribbing).
    The K3 definitely takes a narrow pallet jack; we used one to move mine into my shop.