Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another Oddball DC Fitting - 3D printed and Magnets

Another Oddball DC Fitting - 3D printed and Magnets

My old Delta shaper is mobile so I need to be able to disconnect the dust collector and stow it in the minimal space possible. I was originally using two 4" hoses to the combiner on the DC inlet. I've changed that to a single 6" inlet so I needed an efficient combiner attached to the tool that stayed within the outline of the top.

It's sort of possible with standard PVC fittings but I couldn't come up with anything that didn't have at least one badly convoluted path. The maximum allowed profile was also giving me trouble with a printed fitting. I eventually realized that magnetic couplers would solve that problem.

Shaper_5.jpgShaper_2.jpgShaper_3.jpgShaper_4.jpg
    Beranek's Law:

It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion.
    L.L. Beranek, Acoustics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954), p.208.

Nicely done! How long did it take to print?
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Nice modeling work. Did you need much in the way of supports when printing the parts?

Do you put any of your designs on sites like Thingyverse for people to print or modify? FWIW, I think your design looks like something worth paying for.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F Franklin View Post
    Nicely done! How long did it take to print?
    Thank you Paul. It took almost nine hours. I could have pushed the extruder a bit harder but I didn't want to take too much risk with nearly half a kilogram of filament involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Loeblein View Post
    Nice modeling work. Did you need much in the way of supports when printing the parts?

Do you put any of your designs on sites like Thingyverse for people to print or modify? FWIW, I think your design looks like something worth paying for.
    Thanks Karl. Yes, it did take some support. I try to design around it when possible.

I've put some stuff on Thangs because I can't quite get the Thingaverse interface! The designs are f360. If you're interested I can host them somewhere for download.
    Beranek's Law:

It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion.

Really nicely done !

I think that magnetic couplers can be one of the best "problem solvers" for DC use there can be. That solution is nicely executed!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Very impressive! I love it!

Yes, a very elegant piece of work. Are the fittings retained just by the magnets, or do you have a pilot feature for shear?

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Grass View Post
    Yes, a very elegant piece of work. Are the fittings retained just by the magnets, or do you have a pilot feature for shear?
    Thanks Wes. The magnets by themselves are enough to resist shear. In fact, the full set of 12 on the six inch fittings is a bit too much for easy removal, which is done with a shearing twist. A side pull on the hose will cause straight breakaway on the far side of the fitting, not shear failure.
    Beranek's Law:

Very nice! Looks like a fun project.

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Grass View Post
    ... Are the fittings retained just by the magnets...?
    When I answer a question like this with a simple "yes" I'm always left expecting the next shoe. Namely, the question "ok, so how much shear?" After two days I had to have an answer! With as close as I could get to a pure shear force I measured about 12 lb to slide the fitting loose. Now I can relax a bit.

Shear_1.jpg
    Beranek's Law:

Beautiful solution, David. Very elegant. I wish I had thought of it for my setup (though I have no ability to 3D print. I just went with boatloads of duct tape for attaching the duct to my planer.)

And you actually measured the shear force needed to slide it loose. My nerd king trophy has now been surpassed. The King is Dead! Long live the King!!!
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Blog Entries
    Great job. There was a design on thingiverse that was a similar single connection. I used it as basis of connecting my DC hoses. Mine are mainly overhead and use magnets with almost zero friction. And they work well with light duty hose.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

Blog Entries
    I just saw this and I'm drawing some fittings up currently to 3D print utilizing magnetic attachment.
    That's a nice design!!
    Which magnets did you use and where did you purchase them?

Thanks Eric. I used 12x4 N35 magnets. I bought the first batch from an internet shop called Umagnets. Good selection, good prices, and not too difficult to find what you're looking for, However, when I went back to buy some more the payment page no longer worked. They only accept PayPal and PayPal threw an error. I've tried several times since and no luck.

So I bought some from both Ebay and Aliexpress. Again, good prices but difficult to navigate their selections. Worse, the magnets are only about half the strength of an N35. Fortunately, I allowed for more magnets than it turned out were needed so the half strength is adequate.

I now have a mix of full spec and out of spec magnets and fittings with different numbers of installed magnets but it seems to be working.

This calculator can be a useful resource if you're doing stuff with magnets.
    Beranek's Law: