Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: A Building Appears

That is the same size as mine, though I did put a 10'x40' overhanging porch on the front of it, and love sitting out there when I take a break. I also move my tools out there to cut down on dust when I can.

Doc
    As Cort would say: Fools are the only folk on the earth who can absolutely count on getting what they deserve.

Love following along on your shop build. Do you have any other shop layout views you'd care to share? I love the idea of the 3/4 wall and placement of a finishing booth. I'm definitely going to incorporate a similar approach.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Hines, MD View Post
    That is the same size as mine, though I did put a 10'x40' overhanging porch on the front of it, and love sitting out there when I take a break. I also move my tools out there to cut down on dust when I can.

Doc
    A full length patio cover is in the plan for us as well although it will be more a family gathering area. Once there is more concrete than dirt between house and shop it will really open things up for cleaner activities like BBQ's. The rear of the property will still be available for the little heathens to ride their go-cart, dig holes and generally do the the wild animal act most of us did as youngsters.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Littler View Post
    Love following along on your shop build. Do you have any other shop layout views you'd care to share? I love the idea of the 3/4 wall and placement of a finishing booth. I'm definitely going to incorporate a similar approach.
    Here's the general idea so far with most large items in place. I had to represent a lot of things with just blocks (larger machine models had too many details) to speed up working with the file. For my purposes I didn't need nut and bolt detail on the machines so don't hold me to machine types and formats

New Shop (183).jpg
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 05-23-2021 at 11:18 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    Prep'ing for the DC shed pad.

New Shop (184).jpg

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    Slab done . . .
    New Shop (196).jpg
    HVAC appears.
    New Shop (194).jpg
    One outdoorunit up.
    New Shop (200).jpg
    Pathway for lineset.
    New Shop (195).jpg
    More fun with HVAC tomorrow.

– Samuel Butler

Are you routing the line sets within the walls? That would be a very clean looking install.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Are you routing the line sets within the walls? That would be a very clean looking install.

Yes. Since the walls were to be exposed at this stage I opted for the cleaner more protected path. All links between the indoor and outdoor units will be in-wall, the weep drains will be as well.

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    Here's a peek at the condensate line.

New Shop (206).jpg. New Shop (202).jpg . New Shop (205).jpg
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 05-30-2021 at 5:10 PM.

– Samuel Butler

That's an excellent setup!
    --

Blog Entries
    Thanks Jim. I overlooked a valve that I need for system vacuum / testing; should be here soon. Still, we got the line sets and power run for one of the systems.

New Shop (216).jpg . New Shop (217).jpg

New Shop (214).jpg . New Shop (213).jpg
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 05-31-2021 at 8:44 AM.

– Samuel Butler

Nice, clean install!!!!! Is there anything in that wall entry for the line sets that "discourages" critters?
    --

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Nice, clean install!!!!! Is there anything in that wall entry for the line sets that "discourages" critters?

It is a solid plastic, flanged "box" with the trim ring press-fit. I will add caulk at the top and sides of the trim frame to shed water and 'glue' it in place. You cut the holes yourself. My approach was to drill holes that accepted the 1/2" and 1/4" copper lines closely. I cut off the factory flares (we wanted the line sets the proper length anyway) and removed the nuts.

I cut the insulation a bit long so that it is sort of spring-loaded where it meets the box both inside and out. There is also caulk around the pipes. The electrical is in Liquid-Tight conduit and fittings. We are not super rural but, we are far out enough that we have plenty of ground squirrels, skunks, insects, etc.

All the outdoor outlets, lights and service boxes have generous foam gaskets on the outside and will be caulked in the inside. The doors will need to be figured out as some will be used daily (this is a residential door and should be easy), some monthly and others only a few times a year. This shop will be better sealed than my previous one as much for critters as for HVAC considerations .

It has been a little problematic getting a valve and adapter that are required for the HVAC line testing. I can get them, just not quickly. they should be here in a few days and IF they are finally the right ones we can forge ahead and actually get the HVAC units running. Currently we are stopped here.

New Shop (220).jpg

There is, of course, plenty of other stuff to be done while I wait.

P.s. You will find these boxes from $15 to $50. I paid $16 at Amazon. They mount inside, outside, upside down (apologies to Dr. Suess) depending on your requirement. The box and rings come in a few colors but, if primed, take paint well.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 06-01-2021 at 1:53 PM.

– Samuel Butler

I bought one of these, and feel like it was money well spent.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B010M261GW...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    My only thought would be that there isnt alot of infeed for the tablesaw.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by George Yetka View Post
    My only thought would be that there isnt alot of infeed for the tablesaw.

Good catch and also . . . true. Over the last couple of decades I realize that I cut 4 x 8 sheets so rarely that the dimension I have planned is fine. I can comfortably run a full sheet of 60" x 60" baltic birch ply which is the type I use almost exclusively. I have a track saw for initial breakdown of other sheet goods.

– Samuel Butler