Thread: my first decent table saw sled

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries
    Thanks guys!

I'm actually building sled #2 right now as well, with some similar features.

My rationale for two sleds is that the first (pictured above) will be used for cross cuts and shoulder cuts on tenons, and the additional sled is dedicated for dado cuts.

Because my insert on sled one is replaceable, I could theoretically swap out the insert each time I want to dado cut... but I frequently am swapping between regular blade and stacked blade, and the change in this case is 4 wood screws from the underside of the sled... so this would become a constant chore that I am not interested in performing. So, the replaceable insert on that sled is more for replacing when it becomes worn out.

On the new sled, I went with a thicker platform that allowed me to install threaded sleeves that are countersunk from the underside. Then, the inserts are a little thicker too so I was also able to countersink the accompanying machine screws from the top. This allows the inserts to be swapped from the top side in much shorter order. So, easier swap out, but heavier sled... a trade off worth having for the dado cuts (and, I'm glad I have a lighter regular sled for the majority of my cuts).

While I was at it, I did mini inserts for the area of the fence where the blade stack goes through. They are also installed using the threaded sleeves/machine screws approach.

I have 5 sets of both types of inserts, which honestly covers most / all of the typical stacks that I install.

For this sled I won't do the plexi safety cover since the sled is dedicated to non-through cuts.

For the rail, I have scrap of aluminum t-track that is a perfect fit for my miter slot, so I'm going to give that a try. Single track again is the goal.

I'll finish the build and testing today and then post a pic in case it's useful to others.
    Last edited by Bob Riefer; 02-13-2021 at 9:28 AM.
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)