Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Journey

This is such a good topic you have brought up Rob. And I can so relate to all that is said here.
    I have been trying to do some type of wood working since finding this sight in 2009. But living in pain, and the duties of life have taken their toll, and my time is spent more in the mind then the hand.

When I do get a moment in the shop to try to accomplish a project, I find that I cherish that moment more, because it come less and less, as time moves on.

Like Bill, I spend alot of time imagining the different outcomes to a project, in their design and use. Never quite satisfied with my thoughts on the matter.

I have spent the past couple of days making a Norm Abram panel jig, for the tablesaw, just to cut a square piece of plywood for the base of a cushion, in an ottoman for the Mrs. I should have done this years ago but always put it off and grabbed the skilsaw and straightedge to do it. Now I have looked more at the journey and less at getting the job done, and attempted to shrug off the impatience in me.

As my wife says, You are learning all of the things now, to prepare you for your next lifes journey.

Rob, there is no substitute for fine workmanship - and that costs time. Please post the stool stages or finished item, you have my curiosity now!!

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mueller View Post
    I came to the conclusion some years ago that the real key to good work is patience.
    Truer words have not been spoken. If I want to screw something up all I have to do is rush the process.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Linge View Post
    Rob, there is no substitute for fine workmanship - and that costs time. Please post the stool stages or finished item, you have my curiosity now!!
    I didn't document the steps, but I should have it finished this week. I'm doing the glue up in stages. There are eight blind M&T joints that I need to glue and pin, and then four through tenons with double wedges I need to set and trim. Next time maybe just use deck screws?
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

I love threads like this and appreciate all your posts! Most of my life has been spent rushing through work. As I “mature” few things bring me as much pleasure as spending the time in the workshop that it takes to produce, correct or redo work so that the end result is acceptable or even excellent to me and others!

Double wedges? You have earned my total respect. Can't wait to see it!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Linge View Post
    Double wedges? You have earned my total respect. Can't wait to see it!
    They are pretty tough to see. They're cut from similarly grained wood, and they just disappeared. If you look close you can see them in this shot (mid finishing process). Each of the legs has a tenon through the top with two wedges. It's pretty sturdy!

IMG_0634.jpg
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

As I reflect on over 40 years of being involved in woodworking of one sort or another, I can clearly see the changes in my approach to working wood.

When younger, I would be much more "manic" in my approach, ie get an idea during the week, rush home Friday and start that evening, work all weekend in the shop, and have something finished by Monday.

At just over 60, I rarely work at this pace anymore. I also tend to go through "seasons", where I might not do much in the shop other than fix things for a period of months. Then the bug hits, and I am out in the shop every weekend for months. I've learned to live with the ebbs and flows of life, and thoroughly enjoy my shop time now that I am not making a living doing it. Like many of you, I also view my shop itself as an ongoing project, and when I don't have the inspiration to start a piece of furniture, I can be quite content making jigs, fixtures, tools, revising storage spaces, updating dust collection, tinkering with machinery, etc. Having several grandchildren is also opening up new areas of endeavour, as they love to come up to the shop and spend time with grandpa. "Boy, grandpa, you are really good at making things!"

My shop is barely heated above freezing in the winter months when I am not there, so it requires some commitment to get out there in a winter evening knowing it will take the shop 1-2 hours to heat up with the woodstove, so most of the cold weather work takes place on the weekend.

Sometimes I will go down to the shop, pick up a nice piece of hardwood, and take some shavings with multiple planes, just for the heck of it. I usually start with a bit of cleanup, or sharpening, to get in the mood. I don't feel the need to constantly "produce".

To sum up, I am much less short-term goal oriented and much more aware of how doing anything in the shop is very relaxing.

Excellent thread. As I did my first-ever real build over the course of a year, I just kept reminding myself that this is about growing and learning. Even cutting apart my entire bench top at the glue lines and starting over was done with a smile. I mean… that top was BAD, comically so. Now it’s almost GOOD. And close enough for what it is… a practice piece doubling as a miter saw bench.