Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fair price for Laguna 14 SUV?

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Hoskins View Post
    Thanks again all for the feedback. I wish we had more Laguna dealers around me (Nasvhille), but on their website it only shows the Woodcrafts in Franklin (very near to me), Chattanooga, and Birmingham. They are all going to have the same issue with ordering a new one. If they would have had an 18BX in stock or even available to ship within 30 days I would have bought one especially since it came with a free resaw king blade and was on sale. While I am not in "hurry" I also don't want to wait until April or May.

I have kind of set my ceiling price at 2k not really because of the money so much, but simply that this is a tool that will maybe get used 10-15 time per year. I get a hair every now and then to make something (I made a nice bed and dresser a few years back out of Brazilian Cherry) and I like having the right tools to do the job. I moved about 18 months ago and sold a 14" delta with riser and 6" jet Jointer knowing I would replace them at my new place. Just now getting around to a project that I want them for. I will also be looking for a 6 or 8" jointer with helical blades so by keeping the bandsaw price down a bit I don't feel so bad spending more on a decent jointer.

It basically all comes down to being practical. I like and will pay for good equipment, but there is a balance to be had with how much I will use them. I am fairly set on a 3HP motor in either size simply so I can resaw without worrying about things bogging down and not cursing for having to move at a snails pace.

I believe the 10-347 is what I would get if I really wanted to spend $2500+ but I think it's really just more saw than I need and at some point I have to just say its more money than it's worth for my use. If Morgan doesn't get back to me next week with something, I will just keep an eye on the Harvey 14CX for a sale in the next month. I may even offer the guy with the SUV $1200 and if he realizes the reality, that would be a fine saw for what I need and give me some more flexibility on my jointer purchase.

I appreciate everyone's input. I think I know what I am comfortable with now, just need to see what deal works out first.

Hey Jamie, I concur - I would have bought the 10-347 as well, but like you it’s a hobby and with little kids I don’t get a ton of use out of my 10-353 at the moment.

I wanted to give you a heads up that Injust got an email from Harvey and they knocked the price down on the C14 14” saw to $1399 with $249 shipping - gets you under your $2k budget with money to spare - promo code is: 311088 - it’s a heck of price for anyone considering it is essentially a 14SUV with upgraded ball bearing guides with factory direct pricing.

If possible I would suggest you look at a 14” and a 18” side by side. I just replaced my Laguna 14SE with a Rikon 347 and was amazed that the bigger saw fit in the original space without looking like it was jammed in. It simply was not that much bigger but the increased mass and capacity is wonderful. So if space is not at a premium for you I would encourage you to get a bigger saw. You won’t regret it. That said I had two Resaw King blades self destruct (cracks in the gullets) on the 14” wheels.

I would rethink limiting yourself to a 14" saw. I went from a HF 14" Delta clone with a riser block to a 19" Grizzly. Over all footprint isn't that much bigger, not enough to make much of a difference. Really the only thing that did require more room was the doors for changing the blade. I bought it to cut turning blanks and just for general BS use. I have done some resawing on it but just because I wanted to try doing it. What I can say is the extra weight and beef of the machine makes a huge difference. Even for thin stuff. It just seams to cut with less resistance. With the larger wheels you can run thicker blades which is also a plus. If you are setting a limit of $2k I would look at everything in that price range.

I fully understand the view that an 18 would be better and if I found an excellent condition used on in my price range, I would buy it. I simply don't see the value for what I am going to be doing where spending $800-1000 more for something (a 10-347) that is going to get used occasionally makes much sense. I am not going to be running a 1" resaw blade or doing resaw work much at all. Yes, there will be some and for what I do I am confident a 14" with a 3HP will be fine. I will probably have a 1/2 blade for most break down/resaw work and a 3/16 for any scroll type work. I am sure something will eventually come up where I will say "yeah, an 18" would have helped" , but to be honest for those rare occasion's (for me) there is always a workaround. I expect most of you are using your machine's way more than I will ever do. It's possible and quite likely this machine will sit 6 months and never get turned on at times.

That $800-1000 will go a long way in buying a new jointer as well. I have had some issues with Grizzly equipment before and am not a big fan so they really just aren't on my radar. They maybe should be, but just not something I am giving much real consideration.

I do appreciate all of the feedback.
    Last edited by Jamie Hoskins; 12-05-2020 at 5:05 PM.

I fully understand the view that an 18 would be better and if I found an excellent condition used on in my price range, I would buy it. I simply don't see the value for what I am going to be doing where spending $800-1000 more for something (a 10-347) that is going to get used occasionally makes much sense. I am not going to be running a 1" resaw blade or doing resaw work much at all. Yes, there will be some and for what I do I am confident a 14" with a 3HP will be fine. I will probably have a 1/2 blade for most break down/resaw work and a 3/16 for any scroll type work. I am sure something will eventually come up where I will say "yeah, an 18" would have helped" , but to be honest for those rare occasion's (for me) there is always a workaround. I expect most of you are using your machine's way more than I will ever do. It's possible and quite likely this machine will sit 6 months and never get turned on at times.

That $800-1000 will go a long way in buying a new jointer as well. I have had some issues with Grizzly equipment before and am not a big fan so they really just aren't on my radar. They maybe should be, but just not something I am giving much real consideration.

I do appreciate all of the feedback.
    I tend to agree with you Jamie. Everyone's use is different for the work they do, which is why there are so many options / sizes out there for all our tools. Not everyone needs the same set of tools. I went with a 14LT and it's done everyone I need it to do so far. I've done some resaw and use a Timberwolf 3/4 " resaw blade to make 1/4" boards. Get what you know you need for the work you do.

I wouldn't spend more, I was just pointing out that if you've set a budget then I would look at the saws in that range. I'm sure the 10-347 is a good saw but I don't see the extra HP to be of any value for the tasks you have planned. There's plenty of saws in the sub $2000 (LT14 SUV price) range, assuming that's one of the saws you are looking at. I think the BX14 may be a better option, still plenty of hp, that would save money. The problem is, of course, is finding one in stock. Grizzly must be selling lots of tool as they seam to have the G0513 series always in stock. It's hard to beat the 513X2's $1250 price tag.

but I don't see the extra HP to be of any value for the tasks you have planned
    while I'm in agreement with you about staying on budget, I would say go for the most HP you can get.

Who starts a thread around here asking about downgrading a motor?

No one. Lot's of threads asking about upgrading because their current motor is under powered.

My used 14 SUV was purchased for $1400 a couple of years ago. That included 5 blades plus the tall fence. It was in near new condition and has served my needs as a hobby tool. It has run both Laguna and Lennox carbide 1" blades without any problem so far. I am not a big fan of the ceramic guides which are difficult to tighten without moving out of alignment. Torque on the adjustment knobs twists the guide fixtures. Good luck!
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

I offered the guy $1200 for the SUV and linked him to this discussion so maybe he would realize he is way too high. I didn't get a response but didn't really expect one either. To be fair someone less educated about things may come along and give him what he wants.

So on to my other options. Morgan had a Italian LT18, but it was $2900. Just not worth it for me. I asked him about an 8" jointer as well, but he doesn't have any of those either right now. Said it will probably be a month or two before he has more inventory at all.

I am compounding this entire decision as I also want to go ahead an get a jointer and am setting a budget of no more than 4k all in for both with 3k being more desirable. I am trying to be realistic without cutting my legs out from under me. It is going to be a balance of what to give up on one to get something on the other. I am starting to look at Grizzly a little closer. It may be my only real option without trying to scour CL on a regular basis and that's not really my thing.

I offered the guy $1200 for the SUV and linked him to this discussion so maybe he would realize he is way too high. I didn't get a response but didn't really expect one either. To be fair someone less educated about things may come along and give him what he wants.

So on to my other options. Morgan had a Italian LT18, but it was $2900. Just not worth it for me. I asked him about an 8" jointer as well, but he doesn't have any of those either right now. Said it will probably be a month or two before he has more inventory at all.

I am compounding this entire decision as I also want to go ahead an get a jointer and am setting a budget of no more than 4k all in for both with 3k being more desirable. I am trying to be realistic without cutting my legs out from under me. It is going to be a balance of what to give up on one to get something on the other. I am starting to look at Grizzly a little closer. It may be my only real option without trying to scour CL on a regular basis and that's not really my thing.

Jamie,

That is kind of funny that I was just e-mailing back and forth this morning with Morgan asking if he could get a status for me on the dust collector I ordered from a retail store. If you do go for a Laguna jointer, I have the 6" model and it's fantastic. Smooth, quite, table is flat as can be. I should have got the 8" but had a budget.

If you do go with Grizzly don't have them ship it using New Penn (I think they are only for the north east so it may not be an option).

Just my two cents............
    I've owned several band saws.
    Delta Homecraft 10', 1/2 hp, [not a bad LITTLE saw, but a little saw]
    Delta 14", 1 hp, [good and dependable, a well know and respected tool]
    16" Laguna 3hp, [best band saw I've ever used!]
    18" Grizzly, 2 hp???, [so bad I gave it away, YES, I could not sll it to anyone]
    36" Yates American, 5 hp 3/ph. [a monster, great for serious work.]
    I've used others on a 'single-use' or 'infrequent' basis.
    Laguna 14" SUV, [3 hp???] [a top tool],
    Powermatic 14". [used once, worked fine].
    Jet 14", [I bit 'Iffy' but I was able to get thru the minor, multi-step project]
    I've ZERO knowledge of Rikon.
    As I said, just my observations, 2-cent worth.

One of the reasons I personally favor the larger bandsaw is that it makes the machine a whole lot more versatile and that can be a nice thing in a smaller shop. Bigger, table, more weight, more power isn't a horrible thing. I've been using mine more and more for ripping heavy stock, especially when there's a bit of tension in the boards. It's far safer to do it that way than on a table saw That's just one example.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Well, this old Laguna 18 450 came up near me. Looks to be in good shape. From 1996 with a 4HP motor. He is asking 3k which is obviously way high. What do you guys think of it? I think it is still hooked up so I could go see it run. He's about an hour from me.

I tend to overvalue things so curious what you guys think. I know I can get a new (demo) Italian LT18 from Morgan for 2900 so I am thinking $1500 max, but closer to $1000 is where I would start. It does have some extra blades. I also expect I may need to add a new fence, but not sure.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I love the ceramic guides on my Laguna saw as I have had other saws but the ceramic guides are the way to go...
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006