Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: conflicting pocket hole screw side

Blog Entries
    My jig is a kreg jig and only drills perpendicular holes. I suppose a jig could be made to attach the jig at 45 degrees.
    You could make a 45 degree block and using double sticky tape attach it to a flat surface. I will try that.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 08-03-2020 at 1:01 PM.

How are the two images "opposite"?

Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    How are the two images "opposite"?
    imagine where the screw tip goes. on the first photo its more towards the middle of the panel, from outside, to inside.

on the 2nd photo, its the opposite, screwed from the inside of the box to the outside, so the screw tip is closer to the edge of the plywood base.

Its thought that the first photo makes a stronger joint.

Blog Entries
    I can see some potential for the second image method being "weaker" or cause some splitting. However, I have done them this way and not had any problem. With glue in the joint I suspect a true study of the methods would likely yield the same "strength" results. With the screws only there, it is a small enough difference in strength that if you were relying on that strength then you would be better off using a different method of reinforcing the joint.

My view of it is either is fine and if you're looking for more strength then pick a different joint.
    Last edited by Eric Arnsdorff; 08-03-2020 at 6:46 PM. Reason: Typo

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Steffen View Post
    imagine where the screw tip goes. on the first photo its more towards the middle of the panel, from outside, to inside.

on the 2nd photo, its the opposite, screwed from the inside of the box to the outside, so the screw tip is closer to the edge of the plywood base.

Its thought that the first photo makes a stronger joint.
    I can't imagine there is any real rationale for that theory.

I can't imagine there is any real rationale for that theory.
    You're apparently not very imaginitive.

Watch the next 20 seconds of this video. In fact watch the whole video as its quite good.
    https://youtu.be/mvO6zaIUO18?t=408
    Last edited by Jon Steffen; 08-03-2020 at 9:29 PM.

and another 20 seconds of good video.
    https://youtu.be/mvO6zaIUO18?t=100
    Last edited by Jon Steffen; 08-03-2020 at 9:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Steffen View Post
    You're apparently not very imaginitive.

Watch the next 20 seconds of this video. In fact watch the whole video as its quite good.
    https://youtu.be/mvO6zaIUO18?t=408
    Must be right because some guy made a YouTube video. That joint would have failed in a slightly different manner if the pockets had been on the other side. That's generally what happens when you screw a couple of blocks of cheese together.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Arnsdorff View Post
    My view of it is either is fine and if you're looking for more strength then pick a different joint.
    Mine too... and I don't pre-drill pocket hole screws. That really removes most of the reason I use them (which admittedly isn't often), which is convenience.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Must be right because some guy made a YouTube video. That joint would have failed in a slightly different manner if the pockets had been on the other side. That's generally what happens when you screw a couple of blocks of cheese together.
    You must be right, because you posted something random on a forum....................

Blog Entries
    I re-iterate, I put a dowel pin in the hole with glue and saw it flush with a fine saw. You then paint or varnish as needed.

Both ways work. I've never had a problem. If you're building a playground accessory, then maybe it would matter. Most things I build aren't used for athletic/gorilla activity, so it doesn't matter to me.