Thread: QC problems with your lathe

QC problems with your lathe

I'm just wondering if any of you have had quality control problems with the lathe you chose, and what they were. I'm trying to choose between a Harvey t60-s (grizzly g0800) and a powermatic 4224 (basic, not the one with all the extras). I'm afraid to pull the plug and order, having fear of getting something that comes with problems.
    Where did I put those band aids?

I think what you need to look for is problems with the machining. A poorly machined bed, tailstock, etc is not going to be easy to resolve. As for most everything else, the motor, controller, switches, etc, those parts are not too hard to replace. I don't know about Powermatic but when it comes to Grizzly they will provide you with great support but you will have to do the work. When I got my lathe the shipper damaged the crate and the motor shroud and fan needed replacing. The only other issue I had was a pulley on the spindle has 3 magnets on it for the speed control. One was loose and coming out. Not thinking I touched it and it went too far in so the displayed speed was 1/3 lower than it really was. Both times Grizzly sent parts to me. I think no matter which brand you buy you could face a problem. But overall it shouldn't be enough to stop you from buying.

3. I've had my G0800 for two years. Not one issue whatsoever, not the least problem. The machining is superb on my unit, and it is well built, sturdy machine. It was right........out of the crate. I only had to put the legs on the bed and mount the banjo, tailstock and headstock on the lathe [ 2 man job for sure!] I could not see how any lathe could give me more than my G0800 has.

To let you know, I've turned on numerous Powermatic 3520b's, a Robust American Beauty a friend owns and a Serious SL-2542, the 1600 lb. beast, and my G0800 really performs on a level with the best of them! No kidding!

The Harvey Turbo 60s is a 2 hp D/C motor with controller, and the G0800 is a 3 hp A/C motor with inverter, which has more power and will give you more low end torque for coring, and turning big wood. Just FYI....
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 02-13-2020 at 8:11 AM.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I believe Powermatic lathes come with a 5 year warranty. That speaks well for them. Their lathes have set the standard for well made products.

I think you are worrying about nothing. Both of those lathes will be excellent. Pick one and be happy.

I would not buy from Grizzly.I bought a go632z,came damaged,and customer service was bad.Ordered two more smaller orders, problems with both.Customet service was bad again I was determined to get things resolved.The end result was Grizzly banned me from ever contacting them again including order repair parts for my lathe

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Jain View Post
    I would not buy from Grizzly.I bought a go632z,came damaged,and customer service was bad.Ordered two more smaller orders, problems with both.Customet service was bad again I was determined to get things resolved.The end result was Grizzly banned me from ever contacting them again including order repair parts for my lathe
    Sorry for your troubles, but you are in the minority. I have several Grizzly tools. All are excellent. Griz sells thousands of tools each year. Few complaints given the number of sales. And many positive stories on customer service (far more positive than negative). But, yeah if you buy from a dealer rather than direct, one would presume the dealer would resolve any issues quickly, likely more quickly than buying direct. But you usually also pay more for that level of service. And it is not guaranteed to be better.

Shipping is always a bit of a crap-shoot, as the carriers are separate companies from the manufacturer and there can be finger pointing/lack of ownership when shipping damage does occur. My experience has been that UPS is the worst. They don't treat things kindly. I will sometimes pay more to avoid UPS shipping.

I'm not familiar with the Harvey lathes, no one I know has one. I am familiar with Grizzly and Powermatic and in my opinion they are in different leagues, regardless of what specs say, and really not even comparable . Of course this is my own opinion and you know what they say about that! lol

9. Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lilley View Post
    I'm not familiar with the Harvey lathes, no one I know has one. I am familiar with Grizzly and Powermatic and in my opinion they are in different leagues, ... lol
    Well then you are not familiar with the G0800 from Grizzly, because it is made by the same company that makes the Powermatic lathes, which is Harvey Industries Machine Co.

I have turned and demo'd on numerous Powermatic lathes.....my club has two of them, and I have several friends who also have 3520b's. I've been up close and personal many times...way too numerous to count. I've also turned on a Robust American Beauty, a Serious SL-2542, the heaviest lathe on the market [until they went out of business last year] and they are both premium lathes. I have a friend who has a Oneway 2436 3 hp.

The G0800 is indeed a premium lathe.....Asian made, yes but is comparable in class to the Powermatic 4224b. without the venturi system and light. It uses a more advanced/efficient inverter than the Powermatics, which use the Delta Electronic "S" series inverter.

Not trying to be argumentative here, but your statement said "regardless of what specs say, and really not even comparable." That is a pretty broad and uninformed statement since you are not familiar with the G0800, and I own one, am pretty knowledgeable on both Powermatics and the G0800. I could not be happier with my G0800 than I am, and at the time I decided to pull the trigger on it to purchase, I had almost all I needed saved for a Robust American Beauty, and I really took a hard look at the build of the G0800, which impressed me much.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Robust American Beauty, and may still purchase one, as I really like that lathe, but I can tell you, that I have not given up any capability with the purchase of the G0800!
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 02-13-2020 at 4:11 PM.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Grizzly makes and sells 14 models today. And then there are countless older, discontinued models. Surely some of them are not or were not great. That doesn't mean they all are good or bad. I don't get the Powermatic snobs. It's a nice lathe, but not thousands of dollars nicer than my G0766. They have nicer switches and cranks and that's about it from I can tell, having used one a few times. At the end of the day, they all just spin wood. Sooo over-rated, as are their other tools too. But it's your money. Spend how you wish. I'll use mine for other things without giving up anything.

I would go with the Powermatic.

We had a metal milling machine at work that needed new bearings. I called Grizzly support and they said you can get better bearings from someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Bukovec View Post
    I would go with the Powermatic.

We had a metal milling machine at work that needed new bearings. I called Grizzly support and they said you can get better bearings from someone else.
    That's because bearings are a commodity, like a 10-24 machine screw is a commodity. It would be impractical for Grizzly to stock non-specialized pieces, and you'd pay a lot more if they did. Using commodity parts is an advantage: you can always get them from multiple sources at a cheap price. Sounds like a complaint about nothing.

The price difference between the PM2442 and a Grizzly g0800 is roughly $2500. I'd keep my $2500.

Laguna 2436

Quote Originally Posted by Dueane Hicks View Post
    I'm just wondering if any of you have had quality control problems with the lathe you chose, and what they were. I'm trying to choose between a Harvey t60-s (grizzly g0800) and a powermatic 4224 (basic, not the one with all the extras). I'm afraid to pull the plug and order, having fear of getting something that comes with problems.
    I have to agree with Roger on the GO-800. I owned the equivalent lathe from Laguna the 2436. Awesome power and mass. No complaints.
    My only wish is that it had a better banjo.
    The fit and finish of the Laguna was not in the same league as the Oneway or Robust, (or the new Powermatics) not even close in my opinion.
    However in 4 years of regular and sometimes hard use, it always delivered.
    Good luck on your decision.