Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: The Hall of the Mountain King

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Wilson View Post
    The frame is up. It is regal. I have Time Lapse from my Go Pro and video from my iPhone that I will post whenI figure out how to do it. The pace of construction continues to outstrip the pace of reporting. It is a good problem to have.
    Ooh...let the salivation begin! Thanks in advance for the coming "show"!!!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Good progress

The frame is up and is tongue and groove on top. It looks great. The general contractor and timber framer were right in sync even though they had never worked together. The modern equivalent of felt is on the roof and framing the conventional part of the building has started. The materials are on site to get the building dried in. The GC crew will be back on Tuesday.

i am pinching myself that things are going so well.

Here are pictures from today. I have a lot of time lapse but the battery on the GoPro died while it was running. That apparently messed of the file structure and the pictures are there but won’t load into the Go Pro app.
    389BC61E-18CA-4613-B13A-A3DE538F4164.jpg7BC64D59-AF23-419A-89B7-A218C4563954.jpg3EAAFBA2-E63B-4D96-AE80-FBC2AC395CF1.jpg

WOW! What a lovely structure...that's a work of art, for sure! Congrats on the progress!
    --

a couple of photos

I took a bunch of cell-phone pictures of the structure going up but haven't had time to go through them yet.

Here are a couple.

timberframe_02.jpg

timberframe_01.jpg

It's going to be an impressive shop!

JKJ

Blog Entries
    Spectacular! What are the dimensions?

SOB!

I gotta have one

Quote Originally Posted by Mike King View Post
    Spectacular! What are the dimensions?
    outside dimensions of whole building are 26x52. The shop interior dimensions are 25x34. There is a study, bathroom, and kitchenette on main level, a loft above that which can be a bedroom. The basement has a garage and lumber storage space below the shop. We will keep the boat and water toys there too in the winter. I will use the room below the study as the finishing room but it has plumbing connections for a bathroom and laundry. It could be a bedroom. I am trying to make it so future owners can build a larger main house and convert the shop to a guest house or just use it as a small residence. I think of it as a place to park some money that is way more fun than an Edward Jones account.

We have the whole family at the lake house for the weekend. So last week, we were getting the lake house ready. Now everyone is here and I am the boat driver. I have not had a lot of time to post all the incredible progress properly. Think of the pictures so far as the trailer for the movie.

What I have realized is that I will need to up my standards for shop cabinets. This place ought to be finished out to Wood mag’s Top Shop quality. My former basement shop was largely furnished with metal shelving from the big box store.
    Last edited by Thomas Wilson; 05-25-2019 at 8:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    WOW! What a lovely structure...that's a work of art, for sure! Congrats on the progress!
    When I saw the timber frame with the roof decking, I thought to to myself I would need to go home and order the stained glass window and the pews.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Walsh View Post
    SOB!

I gotta have one
    I’ll send you the timber framer’s number. Tell him I sent you.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Wilson View Post
    What I have realized is that I will need to up my standards for shop cabinets.
    I think I'd have to do the same with a space like that...make it all look like it belongs together. It would be painful to me otherwise, being so anal and all that!
    --

What a great building, Thomas, and a beautiful setting!!! It would be great if there were some way to make the exterior walls disappear back to the frame when you wanted to work in there. Very inspiring!

As I was standing with Thomas watching the frame go up I mentioned that every building I've built myself I wished I could keep it with just the framing and roof! So pleasant (when the weather is right) to have the roof and open sides. Someday I hope to build a pavilion but until then I'll just take a chair and sit in the llama shelter.

I was thinking that the reason Mark Hennebury hadn't sold the T17 yet was because few had a shop that could do it justice. I now know where one is that can.

That ... is ... Awesome! The building and the setting are so harmonious. Love it.
    There is a very fine line between “hobby” and “mental illness.” - Dave Barry