Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A True Modern Neanderthal

800,000 homes around the world seems pretty efficient to me. Inefficient or not Habitat works.

The record of public housing ain't so hot.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Efficiency is not the highest priority of a Habitat for Humanity house build. If it were, each project would begin with an "audition" to determine who has suitable skills. The coming together of a diverse group of people to cooperate in a common cause that is bigger than themselves is a huge benefit that must be experienced to be understood. That is pretty difficult to factor into an efficiency calculation.
    Last edited by Art Mann; 05-11-2019 at 4:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    800,000 homes around the world seems pretty efficient to me. Inefficient or not Habitat works.

The record of public housing ain't so hot.
    Habitat for Humanity and public housing have very different clientele. One takes people who cannot afford rent and subsidizes them. The other takes people who can afford rent (having much higher income) and helps them become homeowners. H for H does not serve the homeless.

I did volunteer work today on an 18th century meetinghouse. One fellow who helped lives in subsidized housing. I don't think his income is half what Habitat requires.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    Here is a word of warning about working on "Habitat" houses. The other volunteers may know much, much less about building houses than you do and they don't realize it. You have to exercise a huge amount of patience when working with them. Sometimes, you just have to overlook some pretty big mistakes on their part.
    It is true that the volunteer experience varies widely, but mistakes should be reported and corrected. Habitat houses have to meet code. I've seen the inspectors on build sites and I've helped correct mistakes. In our area all electrical, foundation, hvac and plumbing are done by local contractors many of whom donate the labor and maybe even donate the materials.

In our community, no mistake that would result in an inspection failure goes unfixed. It is in the areas of fit and finish and general appearance that you get so many uncorrected mistakes.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    In our community, no mistake that would result in an inspection failure goes unfixed. It is in the areas of fit and finish and general appearance that you get so many uncorrected mistakes.
    That's why they need people like you to volunteer more often.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

This is nice and thank you for sharing.

It offered me a new perspective on a conundrum I have pondered most of my adult life.

I have always spent all of time pursuing various interests of my own. Ultimately I always find myself feeling that so many of spend every waking hour pursuing what is important to us and things that further our own personal enjoyment and well being and very little if any thinking about anyone beyond ourself and immediate family.

No I have yet to ever get out of my own way and do something bigger than me for others on a whole.

But this thread has made me think if I was doing something I enjoyed and it was good for another person it could be much more easy than just doing something to do something good for others that you only enjoy on account of the deed.

Maybe like vocation if you enjoy your work for the wok your more apt to be successful and have longevity.

So thanks for what you do as your better than me and so many need the help of others who are capable of being selfless regard of reason or logic.