Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10" Table Saw blade diameters on SawStop

10" Table Saw blade diameters on SawStop

I recently replaced a table saw with a SawStop PCS. Most of my blades are by Freud. I have noticed that several of the blades are less than 9 7/8 straight out of the package never being resharpened. The brake adjustment will not allow for some of the undersized blades. Are undersized blades common to Freud? Any suggestions for a decent rip blade and a decent crosscut blade that are actually 10" diameter without going over $100 per blade. I like Freud but without knowing the diameter until I buy and open the package it is a deal breaker. Thanks.

I am rather surprised that you don't have the range in the brake adjustment to compensate for that. I have never encountered that problem with my PCS. I must admit that I haven't bought any blades recently.
    Have you been in touch with SawStop? Give them a call, they're known to be very helpful.

Tim

They should be able to use. There is an adjustment that can be made to brake system. Look at manual. There is a problem with Freud 8" dado set used on Sawstop.
    John T.

It seems pretty common that so-called 10" blades are less than that. It isn't just Freud.

I followed the manual using the supplied gauge and yellow adjustment bolt but could not get it close enough. The one blade was purchased several years ago and never opened. I did not get an accurate measurement of the diameter because of the tooth layout, but laying it over the cheap SawStop blade you could tell it was about 1/4" smaller which I did not expect. I am aware of the dado issue and plan to put my SD508 up for sale soon. I understand that the safety tabs (anti-kickback or whatever marketing calls them) on the Freud rip blade teeth are also an issue for the brake efficiency according to SawStop. I was aware of some of these issues before the saw purchase but not the blade diameter issue. Hopefully this one blade diameter is not the norm. I'll try others next and may be cleaning out my old blades in a future yard sale. Thanks.

Blog Entries
    I have run a Freud SD508 stack for years on my PCS without issue. What problems are you and John T speaking of?

I run 'Carbide Processors' blades and maybe other PCS owners could chime in with the blades they are using to help you source some cutters.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Like many things today, some blades are actually made in metric...250mm, for example, which is just under 10" (254mm). The same blade can be sold world-wide that way with just variability in the bore for a given application. There may be some other slight variability as a blade is tipped and ground for a given blade model.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

What Jim said. Freud blades are “a metric 10 inch,” which means not 10 inch. I have a Freud blade that I sometimes use on my PCS and can accommodate it, but it is near the end of the adjustment range. Might not work after a sharpening or two. I called Sawstop customer service when I first installed the Freud and they confirmed the info above. My Forrest Woodworker II is also undersized. I think Forrest offers a true 10”
    blade for Sawstop owners, but I was not aware of that when I bought mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Like many things today, some blades are actually made in metric...250mm, for example, which is just under 10" (254mm). The same blade can be sold world-wide that way with just variability in the bore for a given application. There may be some other slight variability as a blade is tipped and ground for a given blade model.
    Agreed, most of the tooling in the world is metric so the majority of saw blades in the world are metric.

I'm surprised that SS didn't take that into account when they designed their saws........Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Nuckles View Post
    I think Forrest offers a true 10” blade for Sawstop owners, but I was not aware of that when I bought mine.
    I believe it's a new product and has only been out for a short time now.

https://www.sliversmill.com/product_...awStop_Ta.html

"This blade is the same as the regular 10"x40T Woodworker II with the exception of having a slightly larger outside diameter which works well with SawStop's automatic brake design. More sharpenings are possible with these longer tipped teeth."
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

The one blade that is a problem is about 247mm. Another Freud blade is about 253mm. I need to follow up with SawStop to understand if the undersized blade could cause a false triggering of the brake. I found another thread here that started back in 2015 for the same topic around Freud on SawStop. Someone mentioned when they talked to SawStop support, Freud undersized blades were a common concern. Concerning the dado blade, I read to avoid blades with tooth shoulders and solid interior chip breakers as it can impact the performance of the braking system. So an SD508 will work but might not stop as quickly as needed if an accident occurs. Thanks for all your input!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I believe it's a new product and has only been out for a short time now.

https://www.sliversmill.com/product_...awStop_Ta.html

"This blade is the same as the regular 10"x40T Woodworker II with the exception of having a slightly larger outside diameter which works well with SawStop's automatic brake design. More sharpenings are possible with these longer tipped teeth."
    I had heard about the undersized blades and so contacted Sawstop. And received the same info as above. On follow-up, I inquired about their rip blade and thin kerf and was informed they have them in the full 10" diameter for the Sawstop TS. I found the regular kerf and rip blades at the link above, but not the thin kerf.

The SS rep said to make a note in the comment field that the blade is for a SS, if ordering directly from them. I would but the link above has a better price.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Mack View Post
    So an SD508 will work but might not stop as quickly as needed if an accident occurs.
    I contacted Sawstop and they don't recommend the SD508 which I did own and sold and replaced it with one of their approved Dado sets (DeWalt DW7670). It works well. I'd bought the Sawstop for its safety feature and I wasn't going to go against their recommendations. Disappointing as the SD508 was a brilliant dado stack which gave perfect flat grooves. I could have operated this stack in bypass mode but that defeated the reason I wanted the sawstop in the first place.

Randall - there is another adjustment which can be made. This is beyond simply turning the big yellow set screw to adjust the distance from the blade to the brake cartridge. You can actually change the total travel disance of the brake cartridge bracket. I just had to do this adjustmet while replacing the arbor block on my sawstop PCS. I believe you can do this with the arbor block still in place inside the saw. I don't know for sure, but this might help when using undersized saw blades. Maybe email sawstop for the instructions if it is not in the manual.

Scott B

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Barr View Post
    I contacted Sawstop and they don't recommend the SD508 which I did own and sold and replaced it with one of their approved Dado sets (DeWalt DW7670). It works well. I'd bought the Sawstop for its safety feature and I wasn't going to go against their recommendations. Disappointing as the SD508 was a brilliant dado stack which gave perfect flat grooves. I could have operated this stack in bypass mode but that defeated the reason I wanted the sawstop in the first place.
    Cool, I have a DW7670 stack as well. I do not need to use bypass mode for the SD508 but, thanks to all for the clarification on the anti-kickback shoulder. My CMT stack also has shoulders but, those two stacks are the only cutters I have left that have them.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler