Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: What has happened at Popular Woodworking magazine?

Mike, Mel largely killed The Burl as well. The forum began well, with many from Knots attending. Mel continued at The Burl where he left off at Knots. His rambling posts would go on and on. One could ignore these. However, every thread had a constant stream of his reminders what "real woodworkers" or "professional woodworkers" would do instead. He did not build anything himself (he carved bowls) but he was a font of information gleaned from reading, and his constant reminders became wearying. He sucked the fun from a thread and from the forum. Members began staying away. When you banned him, after yet another of his tirades (one in particular which was extremely bigoted), the damage was done, and there were only a handful of contributors. I posted builds and reviews, replied as much as I could, but the forum simply ran out of steam.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Our craft has not changed much in many years. Our medium has not changed at all. The media has become very efficient at producing content. Intersection. We can talk more than we have to talk about. Simple as that. But now it is too expensive to be the internet so we remove services like PMs. The snake eats it's tail. One day in the future around an open fire I will talk to inductees about how to woodwork and we will shake hands and agree to meet again.

Quote Originally Posted by mike v flaim View Post
    The Burl still exists but it's all but dead.
    Hi, Mike. I hope all is well with you. Long time.

I agree with Derek. I gave my best effort to the Burl, but Mel sucked the air out of the room. I posted more there in 1 year than I have here in 12.

Take care.
    Jeff

My overriding apprehension is that decreased coverage of hand tool woodworking in periodicals and other media may result in less participation by hobbyists. Out of sight is out of mind. Forum enthusiasts (we know who we are) are here for the duration, but new blood is certainly needed by forums, tool makers, wood suppliers, publishers, schools, and so on. Our craft and the business that is fueled by it depends on shared knowledge. If periodicals, trade shows, and retail stores are no longer viable, then other means need to be utilized to share knowledge and product information. Lie Nielsen's hand tool events are one good approach. Lee Valley will venture into forums on occasion; another effective means.

Print advertising has collapsed and magazines cant figure out how to survive. Staffs are cut, quality suffers and readership plummets. Same thing with newspapers. In the 90's I subscribed to 6 or so magazines and now subscribe to none. In my last move I gave away 100s of PWW, FWW, Woodsmith etc magazines. I use the internet (mostly youtube) now for woodworking content.

Had a glance of the April 2019 issue of PW...the content (in terms of projects) is weaker than the last issue's. A table saw outfeed table is the feature project. So go figure. Did not count, but out of under 70 pages, lots of ads.

Simon

Follow the money DIY is where it is. BUILD YOUR OWN BATH VANITY detailed plans and parts list included. Gave up my last magazine last year, FWW. I take that back, I do buy Mortise and Tenon. A little expensive but good so far.
    Jim

One thought
    If you don’t like the content that is there, write an article. I’m sure they are always looking for good content

Quote Originally Posted by John Stankus View Post
    One thought
    If you don’t like the content that is there, write an article. I’m sure they are always looking for good content
    John, I wouldn't want to read a magazine that featured an article by me. I want something better ... by a real woodworker

Regards from Perth

Derek

My second reply to this topic and thread. I really do enjoy my magazines and view them quite often. I keep all my mags and will randomly pick one up and browse and often get inspired about a project or topic I may had no interest in before. I do not expect any magazine to be perfect and in-fact, if there is one article of strong interest for me, then the magazine is a success even if the other articles are not so interesting. Tool reviews in the magazines are usually only so-so, they often do not get into the more depth one needs to make a decision for acquisition.

For me personally, I would prefer to continue with subscriptions to both support the publications and the authors and to support our hobbies and interests. I run away when the companies controlling the publications and authors and us, the subscribers are treated more like dirt than being treated with respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    John, I wouldn't want to read a magazine that featured an article by me. I want something better ... by a real woodworker

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Seriously? That's what you're going with? I can't count how much I've learned from you, the number of awards you've won for your pieces, and that doesn't include your piece featured in FWW.

Jeff, thank you, but I am not kidding. I am a hobbiest. I can do good work, but my on-line builds share the mistakes as much as the successes, and the mistakes are often due to my naiivety. I am good at problem solving, but my methods are not always the most efficient way of doing things - which would be taught by an experienced pro. I am often re-inventing the wheel. I would never hold up myself as a model to follow.

Regards from Perth

Derek

This forum is a good magazine. A subject is brought up or a method of work. It is than open for comment. Not everything works for everyone. I always think of that song "Fifty ways to leave your Lover" when reading posts. I enjoy trying different things to see if it works for me. I've tried dovetails with backsaws, hacksaws, coping saws, Japanese saws, flush cutting saws, jig saws, handsaws, table saws, scroll saws recip saws, bow saws with teeth from 32 to ten. They all work to some extent. It was fun the whole time. Most all were discussed right here at one time or another. Wow a magazine where you are an author. By the way, I use back saws, but a 32 tooth hacksaw works pretty well in hardwoods that are thin, under 1/4 inch or so. This I tried before the Zonas came about. The exactos were a little too flimsy for me.
    Jim

Jeff, thank you, but I am not kidding. I am a hobbiest. I can do good work, but my on-line builds share the mistakes as much as the successes, and the mistakes are often due to my naiivety. I am good at problem solving, but my methods are not always the most efficient way of doing things - which would be taught by an experienced pro. I am often re-inventing the wheel. I would never hold up myself as a model to follow.
    Reinvention of the wheel is how new wheels get invented. FWW has featured articles by countless talented "amateurs" like yourself. They have been some of the most interesting and informative articles, because their rubber is so close to the road. You should work something up and send it in as a proposal. Save their magazine!

Regards from Perth

Derek
    So much to unpack there.

What is "better"?

What is a "real" woodworker? (for that matter what is a "woodworker")

Some hobbyist woodworkers have quite a bit of expertise in a certain areas, that may be useful to share.

Let me pose a scenario:
    Would you want to read an article by Flexner on the handtool work-ability of Australian hardwoods? What about an article by Flexner on finishing techniques for Australian Hardwoods? Flexner is attributed "real" or "professional" but his scope of expertise is relatively narrow.

There is expertise out there, that folks do not realize they have, and it may be worth sharing.

Derek-I know you were being a bit facetious, but I think there are many people who have benefited from your sharing of your expertise. Thank you.

What's the Groucho Marx quote?... I wouldn't want to be a member of any club that would accept me as a member

John