Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: adjustable grooving cutters on a shaper

adjustable grooving cutters on a shaper

How do you use these cutters ? I am wondering exactly what the full range of uses are and what thickness range is the most useful of the choices available. Educate me please. Mike.

Hi Mike, I have a true adjustable groover with a range of 8 to 15mm via shims. There are also inserts to make a 3 piece set for wider grooves. The maximum depth of cut is 65mm, the cutter is 200mm in diameter

groover.PNG

It's reversible so I can separate the pieces and run them with the scoring cutters inside to cut both surfaces of a tenon simultaneously.

I also have a 30mm spindle for my shaper so I can use my dado set in either the saw or shaper...................Rod.
    Last edited by Rod Sheridan; 01-07-2019 at 11:40 AM.

Thanks Rod. Is this a tool that I am probably going to end up with two different ones to accommodate various thicknesses ?I checked out youtube today and figured out the basics of setting one up .So you use the dado set with 30 mm bore for wider stuff and your adjustable covers the sixes you use most for m&t or tongue and groove ?

Like Rod I have a 8-15mm set that gets the most use (furniture size). I all so have a 4-8mm set for cutting grooves to install sheet good panels into solid wood frames.
    A 15-30mm set is on my wish list, but until I build a project that requires one it will stay on the want list.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kees View Post
    Thanks Rod. Is this a tool that I am probably going to end up with two different ones to accommodate various thicknesses ?I checked out youtube today and figured out the basics of setting one up .So you use the dado set with 30 mm bore for wider stuff and your adjustable covers the sixes you use most for m&t or tongue and groove ?
    Hi Mike, I use the dado set for wider or narrower, those cutters often have a third cutter with no knickers, it goes between the outer cutters to expand the range.

I use the set a lot for tenons as it cuts both cheeks simultaneously. For tongue and groove I normally use a 40mm Euroblock with tongue or groove cutter although this adjustable groover would certainly work....Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Hi Mike, I have a true adjustable groover with a range of 8 to 15mm via shims. There are also inserts to make a 3 piece set for wider grooves. The maximum depth of cut is 65mm, the cutter is 200mm in diameter

groover.PNG

It's reversible so I can separate the pieces and run them with the scoring cutters inside to cut both surfaces of a tenon simultaneously.

I also have a 30mm spindle for my shaper so I can use my dado set in either the saw or shaper...................Rod.
    I have the the narrow and wide set but not the insert. Where did you get that, I'd like to get one.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Jensen View Post
    I have the the narrow and wide set but not the insert. Where did you get that, I'd like to get one.
    Joe, Felder have the groover set with an insert

http://us.feldershop.com/en-US/en-US...B-HW-oxid.html

http://us.feldershop.com/en-US/en-US...B-HW-oxid.html

Regards, Rod.

Wow $800 for 8-19mm....that's a lot! I don't think I spent that on two sets to go from 4mm to 29mm.....

If you are patient you can find them used. Oella saw and Tool also finds sets, sharpens them and resells. Shaper tooling gets bought for a specific job and if not used often, finds its way to CL or ebay. I have a half dozen various groovers I found that way. They will be almost as new when I sell them. Dave

Blog Entries
    Amana has a few adjustable groovers with stackable add on center heads available separately. IIRC they were relatively inexpensive

I have this Amana set with brazed carbide cutters and a 3/4" bore, not as nice as the ones above but quite useful and affordable. https://www.toolstoday.com/prestige-...-machines.html

I use them all the time for the same reasons as above.

Use one today to mill up stock for door jambs with integral stop.

3D554992-B968-43A3-B4BF-9A5FC750A4B8.jpg

BECDC32F-1B83-4AB5-A42A-98B262B40027.jpg

Then a couple days ago to run the panel groove. Pretty slick to be able to shoot for a number on your panel but miss it due to sanding or whatever and still be able to get a exact fit with the adjustable groovers.

519ABB2E-39A6-4FFD-8D4E-6DC7DCBB8C49.jpg

Any set will do. Sharp knives and nickers all that matter.

Jared how do you like the Amana groover ?

i have both amana adjustable groovers, and they work quite well. no complaints. they are especially handy for dialing in dados for drawer bottoms....

---- dz

A relatively inexpensive alternative to insert groovers, with a wide size range, is a dado set with the correct bore for your spindle. For instance, Forrest offers alternative bore sizes on their Dado King https://www.forrestblades.com/dado-k...carrying-case/ and Amana has dado sets with standard 3/4", 1" and 30mm bores https://www.toolstoday.com/search/go?w=dado%20sets. The drawback is that the whole set must be sharpened to renew a dull cutter, and fine width adjustment requires shimming, but for low volume this may be a good choice.