Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help! Grizzly GO566 frustration and disappointment-long

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Jones

That said, in my opinion, what you have done wrong is to bring it to this forum in such a way. We can't do anything, and you have not really given Grizzley sales dept an opportunity to take care of business. It is this type of rant that will turn folks off and it may not even be warranted.

Doug
    Doug I could not disagree with you more. What was posted by Tom was not a rant -it was a detailed description of the steps taken to try to correct a problem.

And I believe that Tom has done us all a service in bringing this situation to our attention.

You spend 2 grand on a piece of machinery, you expect it to work. If it doesn't, you expect decent customer service and not the runaround. More and more we are seeing this as the norm, from many companies.
    Last edited by Doug Jones; 01-27-2006 at 2:44 PM.

3. Quote Originally Posted by t peterson
    Mr. Jones..I apologize if I have violated a protocal of the website. My intent was not to rant but use the same calm approach I did with the TAs. Looks like I went over board. I have not had this kind of experience with a new tool and my intention was to seek guidance from this group. Your advice is appreciated. TP
    Tom - I am going to have one of my top managers call you to take care of this. And "use a blow torch" is nonsense. We'll take care of that internal issue with the person you spoke to. Before you try any of the things listed as a result of your post, let us work to get it resolved properly and to your satisfaction first.
    Sorry about the problem.

O.K.

What do we know.
    * Single Phase Application set for 220 volts.
    * TEFC Single Phase motor with mechanical start trip.
    * Induction type with capacitor start.
    * Mag switch starter.

So, if the motor is good and its not starting, the first thing to do is to verify the start circuit which you may have already done. Three items come to mind. The cutout switch is not closing when the motor is off. (i.e. open contacts all the time). The start capacitor is old and has leaked out its chemicals (chemicals actually outgas from vent hole). These can be had from most motor shops. Thirdly, the start winding is defective. This could be either the start windings within the stator (motor now DOA) or there is a bad connection within the junction box.

Just as an aside, does the starter function? (mag starter). Engage on green, disengage on red? I know its a dumb question but gotta ask.

One way to check the motor is to push the start button and then immediately grab the lower wheel and kick start it. I used to have a compressor like this. You had to kick the flywheel over with a boot to get the pump to start pumping. Yes, this motor was 30 years old an on its last legs. But if this works, then we know we have a starting issue for sure. If not, that does not rule out a starting issue mind you.

Lastly, of the 30 odd wires in the junction box, are any of them labeled? Sometimes its printed on the wire. Sometimes there are plastic or brass collars with the codes on them. Often these labels with a letter followed by a number. Like T1, T2, etc. Keep in mind that three phase dual voltage motors have only 9 leads comming out of the motor. So I am courious why you have 30 wires in there.
    Had the dog not stopped to go to the bathroom, he would have caught the rabbit.

Frank
    Well, guess it is OK to disagree. If Tom had taken his issues to the next level with Grizzley, and was still not getting satisfaction, I would agree with you. I just don't think that he took the issue high enough.

As shown by the Grizzley response here today, it is obvious that even though they were suits and ties, they aim to take care of business when given the opportunity.

My post was not meant to be an attack on Tom's original post...just my thoughts that it was premature.

Doug

One question I have is, what do you have this plugged into? Socket type, branch circuit breaker size, etc. How did you wire the plug?

Quote Originally Posted by Shiraz Balolia
    Tom - I am going to have one of my top managers call you to take care of this. And "use a blow torch" is nonsense. We'll take care of that internal issue with the person you spoke to. Before you try any of the things listed as a result of your post, let us work to get it resolved properly and to your satisfaction first.
    Sorry about the problem.
    Papa Grizley=Shiraz Balolia
    Looks like the problem is going to get resolved.
    I think it is awesome that he reads here and can help out with problems like this. I wish more corporate types would do this.
    From posts like this on several forums I think grizzley has alot of new support staff and is in the process of weeding the chaff from the grain.
    Nice thing is that once they hear about stupid suport issues like thin they usually make it right.

Please keep us updated and let us know how this turns out.
    Too many people bring gripes here and never post follow up's about the good things that happened to resolve the problem.
    Last edited by Kurt Forbes; 01-27-2006 at 2:17 PM.

Douglas,

Maybe you dont feel the same way, but I think that the first person to pick up the phone is the only person the customer should have to talk to, there is no reason that Tom, or anybody for that matter, should have to hunt down a manager or somebody higher up to get his problem resolved. The people on the customer service line are there to help, not to tell you to get out your blowtorch.

Have you ever heard the saying "we are only as strong as our weakest link"?

Anyway, you, personally, may not have liked what Tom had to say (though I don't understand why), but I appreciate it and I am sure others do as well. This forum is here so we can all learn from eachother.

9. I think everyone needs to chill here!

Tom, I understand Bill has already spoken with you . Please DO NOT follow any instructions given to you on this thread by anyone other than Grizzly. This is our problem, and we will take care of you, the right way.

These threads are getting rather old. While I appreciate the original poster issue...I can almost always predict who is going to post and what their going to say. It's almost like a political issue....you have these guys on one side and these guys on the other.

You never gonna change anyones minds expcept for those in the middle...maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiraz Balolia
    I think everyone needs to chill here!

Tom, I understand Bill has already spoken with you . Please DO NOT follow any instructions given to you on this thread by anyone other than Grizzly. This is our problem, and we will take care of you, the right way.
    Bravo. Think about this folks--Shiraz runs a reasonably-sized company that sells (I guess) thousands and thousands of tools a year. I imagine SMC purchases represent a rather small fraction of his customer base, yet he takes the time to read posts here, provide feedback, and even customer support. As people have pointed out, while it would be nice to never have to talk to more than one support person, the world is not perfect and some support people need more training than others. One of the things that make people hesitate to buy mail order is the time you need to spend dealing with machines that have problems--in Grizzly's case, it's good to know that the boss will stand by his products. Helps make my jointer decision a little easier...

Response from Grizzly

Folks..I received a personal message from one of the members and sent the response below. Also, I retract my statement about not buying another Grizzly tool. It was a regretful rush to judgement but it would have been much better if this could have been resolved wiith the first contact. Enough of that. Based on the comments from Mr. Balolia I'm confident there will be a resolution to my problem. Thanks to all who took the time to comment and provide advice. TP

"Thanks for the personal message ****. I don't have a lot of time to spend on message boards but in checking around I think the SMC folks are well informed and non-judgemental. Both are traits I admire.

Per your comment about the Grizzly CEO, you probably noticed he posted a message of concern and resolved to remedy the problem. I am very impressed. Shortly, and I mean minutes after his post I received a phone call from his representative. We talked at length but since I am at work he said he would call back again later.

Finally, I really was not trying to rant. Just didn't know what steps to take next and thought I'd try here. Had I realized that quality control was such a high priority of the Grizzly company and the CEO was so accessible, I would have taken that course of action.

Thanks again, tom.<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
    Tom Peterson

Tom,

I am really sorry you have had these problems with your new bandsaw. I have no doubt Shiraz Balolia will resolve this issue in very short order for you.

Last year I went through a similar issue with a new Delta X5 bandsaw. Without the significant advantage of the President of the company being an active member of the Sawmill Creek Forums the issues with my Delta bandsaw became a long and frustrating ordeal.

In my case it took four months, at least a dozen phone calls and e-mails and a lot of parts being sent back and forth before things finally were finally taken care of in a satisfactory manner. I also recieved my share of bad advice on what to do to resolve the issues for Delta's Customer Service which compounded the problems.

Personally I do not own any Grizzly tools, however your experience and more importantly Shiraz Balolia's fast and professional response to it make me more inclined to buy Grizzly on my next tool purchase.

Let us know how it turns out for you and how you like your bandsaw.

Lloyd Morris

After reading Mr. Balolia's post and his concern with Tom's problem, I just had to laugh at the thought's that must have run through Shiraz's head while reading the original post. Can you imagine the president of a company reading that someone from his company telling a customer that the way to fix a problem with one of their products was to take a torch to it? I can only imagine how fast Mr. Balolia's fingers must have been working to get ahold of the CS/Tech department and find out why they are giving out that kind of "Technical Support". I was cracking up at the absurdity of the advice. I feel bad for Tom (but all will be fine) and for Mr. Balolia for having to deal with this situation (I guess that some serious training meetings will be forthcoming). Let's don't forget, machines will occasionally have trouble. What matters here is that THE PRESIDENT OF THE COMPANY gets these things taken care of. HE CARES!!! Find that from Jet or Delta or PM or whomever.

I, for one, am continually impressed with the way that Mr. Balolia is concerned with the reputation of his company and with his desire to make it better. This only makes me more of a loyal customer that I am. Two years ago I had a little trouble with the G0555 and G1182 that I had purchased. After not being able to get it totally worked out with the tech's that I talked to I was able to get ahold of a person a little higher up and all was worked out just fine. Their CS is only getting better and better.

For those of us that, for WHATEVER reason, choose not to have the most expensive machines in our shops, Grizzly has whatever we need or want to make whatever our big and little minds can think of. After all, does anyone really think that the absolutely wonderful, world class instruments that Mr. Balolia makes are made on anything other than Grizzly tools?
    Mark Rios

Anything worth taking seriously is worth making fun of.

"All roads lead to a terrestrial planet finder telescope"

We arrive at this moment...by the unswerving punctuality...of chance.

I will say one thing in support of the tech guy that suggested shipping back the motor and possibly having to heat the shaft and or the pulley to get it off. I suppose that it depends upon who he is talking to. I sure would rather do that than have to ship the whole tool back to have it replaced if it is just a motor problem. A lot less of a problem and faster also I suspect. Allen